My third baby...

Upset99

Reaction score

chicane

Reaction score
I think you had better be prepared for some serious criticism (my opinion):

1. The car sits WAY too low. This low stance does not fit these cars at all.
2. Those wheels do not work with this car.
3. Late models seats do not work with this car
4. Where is the rear bumper?

CookeD

Reaction score
chicane said:

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

chicane

Reaction score
NumbersJ said:
chicane said:

Not following, what do you mean?

MattP

Reaction score
chicane said:
NumbersJ said:
chicane said:

Not following, what do you mean?

The guy got a sweet deal and you are nitpicking in the first reply. I believe that is what he means.

Congrats on the car!

chicane

Reaction score
MattP said:
The guy got a sweet deal and you are nitpicking in the first reply. I believe that is what he means.

Congrats on the car!

I would argue the "sweet deal" part but never the less I believe most people here would agree that some work (namely the items I laid out) needs to be done so the car can truly live up to it's potential.

MattP

Reaction score
Once again, no congratulations. Just you writing about what you think is appropriate. Are you seriously this self-involved? The poster is excited and you come to his thread and bring the bitter pill.

I'll be sure to invite you to my next birthday party. You can tell me how old and fat I am getting. Maybe for good measure you can call my kid stupid while you are around.

chicane

Reaction score
MattP said:
Once again, no congratulations. Just you writing about what you think is appropriate. Are you seriously this self-involved? The poster is excited and you come to his thread and bring the bitter pill.

I'll be sure to invite you to my next birthday party. You can tell me how old and fat I am getting. Maybe for good measure you can call my kid stupid while you are around.

I'll let you take a look at this post from the admin as you may have missed it:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4044

Then, i'll remind you that everyone on this forum (and this country) is entitled to their own opinion. If you don't like it....tough.

TodB

Reaction score
Coupe

First and foremost, welcome to the site and congrats on your latest purchase. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, caveats about rust notwithstanding.

What BBS do you intend to install? Silver RS' would look great which, I think, look better than Alpinas.

rwolak

Reaction score
That is one nice E9 for $10K, especially if the rust has been addressed.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great find. I think this listing slipped under the radar due to lack of e9, cs, csi in the title.

Congrats and good luck....Christmas comes early for you!!

Coal for you Chicane.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well bought! Very nice car. The BBS's will be a huge improvement! You could recover the front seats in blue to match the rest of the interior.

I'd love to get my hands on that front spoiler for my 74.(When I get it running.)

Hey, I bought one that does'nt run. (Only because it is just about rust free.)

Enjoy the ride.

John M
82 e21 baur
73bav
74 3.0CSA

Upset99

Reaction score
I appreciate honest critiques. Are there some mods that I may want to remove? Of course, like the wheels/tires BUT considering the deal, so what? My "nice" 74 is rust free but it has the OEM 3.0 engine with a 5 speed. I have been acquiring parts to upgrade to the 3.5 triple Weber setup or perhaps converting to Injection thru someone like Steve Haygood in GA. Now? I can get rid of some of the parts. I have Scheel seats in Black in good shape. My "nice" 3.0 is in tan, so I would have to recover. In this car, perhaps I can use them, the way they are?

As to the ride height, lets see how she does. With the price, I can spend some money to convert to something different.

A CSL bumper goes with the sale PLUS an extra 87 Engine which I may not take. The A/C is there but not completely installed. There is some of the lower body chrome that has also has to be installed and maybe I will have to buy all new lap brightwork? How much will this cost? Maybe a $1G?

So if I convert the suspension to some type of OEM setup, replace wheels& tires, fix the A/C, install a nice Stereo system, buy all new bright work at the beltline, how much will I have in it? Maybe...$15K? I have seen cars like this go for around 30gs!

This car is basically done...and considering the price! If I kept my present E9, I would have to redo the wood, convert to Scheel and of course the Engine. Budget? $7-12Gs considering how hot I want the engine which creates other problems. Why build it if you can buy it already done at a good price? Barn finds tend to be economic disasters unless the Car brings 100G or you do your work youself as a hobbyist!
(Note: I own part of a Car Restoration Shop, so I get good prices on labor and wholesale performace parts like JB. The bad news is the Shop specializes in American Cars 20s-70s.)

BTW, I have the CSL Stainless Wheel Arches

Upset99

Reaction score
I have a set of polished alum RS staggered wheels with the BMW centers. I intend to replace the Borbets with them...how much can I get for the Borbets on ebay? $250?

rwolak

Reaction score
If the stance is to your liking, I wouldn't change it. Remember, the car is yours---make it into what you want and not something that someone thinks it should be. That's part of the enjoyment of owning these cars.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase!!

Personally, I've always owned lowered cars, although there is a point when a car can get too low (street vs. track). I think a good height for coupes is lower than stock but high enough so the front tires don't contact the fenders while turning up a driveway, etc. Ask me how I know! :cool:

Coupes are sports cars and shouldn't have much fender well showing! My opinion of course, but there's ALWAYS a place for the factory stock setup and look. No argument.

Dan

candymanpf

Reaction score
Keep in mind that taste is 100% subjective. It would similar to telling someone they should like strawberry ice cream not chocolate. We each like what we like, there is no right or wrong. I hope the car is everything it appears to be, looks like you got a deal!

chicane

Reaction score
Everything is subjective. That's why God invented opinions. I would be curious to know how many who have posted in this thread are a fan of those seats?

Upset99

Reaction score
LOL! I like Chocolate and Strawberry! I would take them both. My sin is I LUV cars and these E9's are Great Values. What other beautiful, fun, rare car recieves so many compliments but economical enough to drive everyday? If there is a problem, the fix is relatively cheap! I co-own a Maserati Ghilbi! Great car but part prices? And the routine maintainence? Compared to this, E9 bills are nothing.

Another forum member had the car inspected. Some of the work ws not at the professional level.

The floorboards may not be in welded well? So I wont drive it in the rain until it is fixed. I have a friend who is a great professional welder (Gas, MIG, TIG, Plasma, ect) who can also fabricate sheet metal. He has worked on restorations at a very high level. I am sure whatever the problem, it can be resolved.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I am sure whatever the problem, it can be resolved.

Exactly! Especially the piddly stuff like seats and wheels...all easily changed back to stock or modded the way you want.

The parts chase is fun and you can sometimes fund the stuff you want with the stuff you take off.

Enjoy it.