Mysterious trunk wires

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
On another thread, some of us have been discussing about a pair of wires that terminate at the left shock tower. One is a solid white wire with the other one also white but interspersed with small green bands. This was brought to my attention by fellow member Tom P, whose car also have these wires. Interesting enough, these wires were also in my other previously owned CS.

After some investigation, I've found these are factory wirings. They were wrapped and bundled along with the tail light wiring harness. This harness terminates at the radio region along with the radio hot and ground wires and all four wires were factory bundled together. So this is my theory, these 2 wires were intended for an optional rear monoral speaker setup as I believed the original cars were hooked up only to the upper dash speaker. Were stereos ever an factory option?

Any other thoughts or inputs? Thanks.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

Two wires on the left
a0d61c858e154dd6d5eb645e4f9bd8cf.jpg

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Malc, Don't think this is the case but it would be a logical assumption that the wires were meant for the fog light installation. If the wires were for this particular application, should'nt they be routed to the rear of the trunk area along with the main tail light assemblies wiring harness?

As previously stated the wires were traced back to the radio hookup wiring bundle and it seems to be unmolested factory taped. These wires appears to be free standing and not hooked up to the fuse box or any other circuitries. A continuity test confirmed this to be so.

Until this speaker wiring theory is corraborated by others, this mystery continues.

Bert

Malc

Reaction score
Bert,
When it comes to wiring in an E9 anything is possible :lol: Guess they could also be for rear parcel shelf speaker or speakers.
Malc

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Trunk Wires

Just looked in the Blue Book, item 80 is "connection for rear loudspeaker" and the wires are White and White-Green so the mystery is solved!