Need advice on 318ci Dodge van motor

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, first I'll get past the reason why I'm working on a '73 Dodge van... It's a Kary Van (10ft box van) and my daughter has decided she has to have a van conversion camper. That's the latest thing I guess. Father daughter project! BTW, my daughter is 30 so she's thinking all of this through fairly well with the help of me being the reason and logic side of things.

So, it has a 318ci motor that was missing the carb, ignition wires and the distributor wires had been cut. I borrowed a carb, found some wires and rigged the dist and ignition switch (don't have a key) and was able to get the motor to fire! Next I checked compression and was amazed at 140-150 across all eight cylinders. After learning this about the motor we decided to move forward with the project.

My question is, I need to source a 2-barrel carb and wanted to know if there's any particular favorite out there for these motors?

Dan

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think they came with Carter carbs that were not the greatest. Carter went out of business in the 80s. Something like a 500 CFM +- Holley is probably a better bet. I wasn’t an expert on these even in 1973, so anyone with up to date knowledge of new options should chime in.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

How about changing the scope of the Father/Daughter project and put together a van that can compete in the Dajiban series. :)

Funny you should say that. The owner of the company's son sits next to me and he's had his eye on a Dodge van just for that purpose. That's crazy.

The van we're using was bought as scrap so the starting price is $300. I told her if the engine needed replacing we were backing out and moving on to something else, and then the engine fired and showed good compression. I guess we're moving forward with it. :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
What about the EFI carb systems that they have now? Holley makes a 2BBL as well as 4BBL kits... Just a thought.
I'd like to keep it as simple as I can (and cost). I've heard the Dodge drive train in the van is the same they use in the motor homes and are pretty reliable. I posted this same question on the Dodge van forum and got one response that said to by an original carb for it through Napa. $350. There's got to be a better alternative. Holley? Edelbrock?

I did have throttle body injection on my 1990 Chevy truck (350) and never had an issue for ten years.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe Don can set you up with MegaSquirt. For carb alternatives try Googling best carburetor for a 318 and see what you get. Also search online parts sites for a 318 carb. There’s probably not much advantage except burning more gas from a four barrel unless you put in a Dodge Dart 340 cam and intake manifold to take advantage of it.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I did have throttle body injection on my 1990 Chevy truck (350) and never had an issue for ten years.

That is (kind of) what the carb'd EFI setup is I believe... Throttle body just is shaped like the OE carb to make the fitment easier.
But - if you don't have any of those items, that advantage is not there....

It all depends on how much of the intake and such for engine you have to get the parts for and all that....
FYI - I am having SFDon put an M90 (w/Megasquirt) on my '70 Coupe. The added power and economy is one thing. The reliability and no-fuss longevity of modern EFI is a game changer though... I know it is apples and oranges (comparing a CSi fuel injection style set up on an M90/M30 to a small block Chrysler with carb EFI) - but still.. Some similarities.

I have heard great things about these carb replacement EFI set ups... No first hand experience, but... the reports are excellent...

Good luck... Sounds like a fun project....

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a big Holley like that on my 1953 Lincoln Capri 317 V8, and I get about 10 mpg highway with a tailwind. Carbs are plenty reliable. Just have to teach her how to use a little starting fluid after the van sits for more than a few days, which it likely will.