Need advice on camshaft

Knut

Reaction score
I need to replace the valvehead of my 3.0csi, 73mod. I have access to a head originating from a 535i, 86mod. Is this a straight swap?, or does the motronic cam come in conflict with the d-jet injection system? Is it best adviced to pull the old cam and fit it into the 535i head? Any advice is much appreciated. Knut

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I do not know if the cam specifications are the same for the 535 as for the CSi, but there is another reason to swap the earlier cam to the later head. The 535 engine uses the Motronic engine management system and it's cam does not have the distributor drive that you will need.

However, if you choose to keep the 535 cam, there is another way to get the distributor drive. Carl Nelson (www.bimmerdoc.com) sells an adaptor that fastens to the front of the cam. In either case, you have to use the original 3.0CSi upper timing cover (make sure it is the same height as the 535 cylinder head).

Honolulu

Reaction score
heads up

I need to replace the valvehead of my 3.0csi, 73mod. I have access to a head originating from a 535i, 86mod. Is this a straight swap?, or does the motronic cam come in conflict with the d-jet injection system? Is it best adviced to pull the old cam and fit it into the 535i head? Any advice is much appreciated. Knut

Knut, I interpret that you need a new cylinder head. All the cylinder heads from injected models will fit, however I expect you have a carburetted motor. You will need to fit an electric fuel pump because the injected head has no provision for driving a mechanical fuel pump. It is not difficult to get and install the electric pump.

Your motor will need either the adaptor for the injected cam, or to use the old cam if it is still in good condition. Check the cam lobes that operate the valves for the front cylinder. Sometimes the bolt holding the oil spray bar has come loose and there was no oil to the front lobes, and they suffered severe wear.

de coupe

Reaction score
While your there

Just a sggestion while you are there find the daul valve srings out of a 90 and newer and use those it is two springs instead of one

Every little bit helps...