Need advice on lowering my car

carcrazy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all i need some advice on how to lower my car to a desired height. I have already installed Carl Nelson's lowering springs but it seemed it did not lower the car as i thought it would. I have tried to attach a picture but with no luck. Any advice would be appreciated!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think those pads need to be the 2 dot version?- did you check that you indexed the spring to the perch?
Use a flashlight if you need it- the dots are kinda small.

carcrazy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your input...i have checked the spring pads in the rear and they have three dots on them. Since i am looking to lower the car more should i replace with spring pads with one dot?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If you don't mind compromising some of the ride quality, you could cut the springs a touch or heat them. It is a very old-school trick, but it can seriously alter the spring performance. Plus, given how low the frame rails are on the E9 already, I would be wary of going too low. You go over a speed bump at anything over 5 mph and *bam* you just bent your frame rails, or at least started a new rust location.

My E34 is like that now, thanks to my father trying this trick. I have to be aware of how much ground clearance I have at all times, lest I crunch the frame rails. Speed bumps have become "stop bumps". Driving the E9, it is nice to actually have some ground clearance.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Spring Pads

Rear spring pads are common (or will fit) to e10, e9

Top pad:
33533450105 (only one size listed)

Bottom pad:
33533450106 = 37mm
33533450107 = 28mm
33533450105 = 33mm

Front upper pad common for e3, e9, e12, e24:
31331100635 = 35mm
31331100636 = ? mm

No lower pad shown.

Cutting is probably more predictable than heating especially if you are after minor height changes. The front upper seat for the spring pad can "spin" so less than one full coil cutting won't be a problem - can't remember if that is true on the rear. No I haven't done this on mine but lots of 2002 owners have - search the forum at http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component...topic/t,352963/highlight,lowering+suspension/

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying the spring boosters on the rear as a cheap way to adjust the rake. Has anyone used these? Thank in advance