Need help/advice on electric antenna

alfagta

Reaction score
Spent some time trying to get the antenna working. It clicks when the console button is pushed, but nothing else happens. I took it out and managed to unreel the plastic cable so that I could clean and lubricate the antenna. Getting the cable wound back up was tricky--not like my old Mercedes where you just feed it in as the electric motor is running.
Naturally, all this work accomplished nothing, so now I'm thinking I'll need to send it out for professional repair, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the power wires (see picture). The black one is soldered to the motor inside. The silver one is solidly attached as well. I don't see any connectors farther up the wires in the trunk. Do I just cut them now and splice them together when the piece comes back? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 173
What brand is that and is it worth repairing vs. buying a new Hirschmann?

If cutting the wires do so in a spot where the splice will be unseen when reinstalled.

The grey wire is the antenna, don't cut it! You will need to trace it back to the radio unless there is a junction somewhere in between. Looks like a later antenna anyway.

Spent some time trying to get the antenna working. It clicks when the console button is pushed, but nothing else happens. I took it out and managed to unreel the plastic cable so that I could clean and lubricate the antenna. Getting the cable wound back up was tricky--not like my old Mercedes where you just feed it in as the electric motor is running.
Naturally, all this work accomplished nothing, so now I'm thinking I'll need to send it out for professional repair, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the power wires (see picture). The black one is soldered to the motor inside. The silver one is solidly attached as well. I don't see any connectors farther up the wires in the trunk. Do I just cut them now and splice them together when the piece comes back? Thanks.
my guess is that both wires will go all the way to the radio ... they should go through the trunk wall above the wheel well, down under the side arm rest, then under the rear seat wall to the tranny tunnel and up to the radio. the antenna wire should have a connector to an extension cable somewhere

check out woodyscustomshop on ebay. they have a lot of hirschmann antennas that range from 80 bucks to 110.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hirschm...des-/231715284585?hash=item35f34ea669&vxp=mtr

Yes check to see if the antenna wire plugs into the shaft housing.

The grey wire is the antenna, don't cut it! You will need to trace it back to the radio unless there is a junction somewhere in between. Looks like a later antenna anyway.

What brand is that and is it worth repairing vs. buying a new Hirschmann?

I would re-phrase Stevehose's post as: "No matter what brand of power antenna you have, it ain't worth repairing".

And even if it was worth repairing, who would you bring it to?

Personally, I dislike power antennas. Nice idea, but they never last for very long. If you need to collapse your mast in order to fit a car cover, just get a manual antenna.

$_35.JPG

When the antenna mast is removed do you hear or see the motor moving?
Looks like the next step is to open the antenna plastic case and see what is going on inside. Then test with 12V directly applied to the motor.

My E24 Hirschmann has replaceable masts and that is the part that fails. The Coupe antenna is probably better built and never failed.

Like Jay says electric antennas are useful if you live in a neighborhood prone to vandalism, people like me in my teens :). Else look at DQs fixed antenna angled as if the car was flying.

antenna

I didn't get far enough to remove antenna cable. I unwound it, but it looked like it the very end of it was locked into the reel somehow. It was getting late and my wife was banging on the garage door...

Hello all,

I'm about to try to resuscitate the electric antenna of my 2800, is was installed on the left front wing, the brand is HARADA model EA-80, do you know any of it?

I have tried to search for information about this antenna model (diagrams or manual) but it must be so old that there is nothing on the net, or at least I can't find it...

The problem is that four cables come out of it, I know that one is ground, another is always live and the other is the trigger, but I don't know what the fourth can be for, any idea?

Also in the compartment under the steering wheel, where the four cables arrive, there seems to be an aftermarket relay that I don't understand what function it may have either.

This is what I found:

IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg

Thank you @HB Chris

What should I do with this cable, I think I know how to connect the other three….

Other question is which one is which…..

Best thing I did to Athena & the 1988 M5 was disconnect the power from the antennas. The M5's was obnoxiously loud & I never listen to radio broadcasts. My older BMWs are all Bluetooth compatible for music on my phone.

Back