Need Help finding short

chope97

Reaction score
I have posted about this before my 73a keeps blowing fuses on number 11, which is temp gauge, fuel gauge, auto choke solenoids, tach, oil pressure warning light. I unplugged just about all of these devices and it still blows the fuse as soon as I start the car. The car will start but will not idle. Are there other items on that circuit that are not listed on the lower dash door legend. Is there some other way to check for a short? I noticed that the wires to the auto choke come from a device located on the back of the brake booster could the problem be in this device? I have not driven my car this year

Attachments

• bmw e3 switch.jpg
    bmw e3 switch.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 12
I take it you can turn the ignition on and nothing happens but only if you start it the fuse blows?
If you disconnect existing wires and feed the idle shut off solenoids with a fused jumper (if you have them) will it idle?
Make a "map" of existing connections/wire colors on the suspect relay, compare to wiring diagram, and see if disconnecting makes a difference to fuse.
You may want to get yourself a circuit breaker and a test light and save the fuses.
Also follow the wires to the carbs and see if no crossed connections or shorts to ground.

Back