Need This Like a Hole in The Head! Lancia Beta Coupe

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can't even believe I'm considering this but on my weekly 600km round trip commute I saw a 2L Lancia Beta Coupe in a front yard for sale.
Price is what I consider 'cheap' and I think these cars are under appreciated. Have any members had any experience with these?
I'm told they are fast yet temperamental - like most Italian things - and also prone to rust. This one seems to not be too bad on the rust front.
Yet to knock on the front door....

Can't even believe I'm considering this but on my weekly 600km round trip commute I saw a 2L Lancia Beta Coupe in a front yard for sale.
Price is what I consider 'cheap' and I think these cars are under appreciated. Have any members had any experience with these?
I'm told they are fast yet temperamental - like most Italian things - and also prone to rust. This one seems to not be too bad on the rust front.

your title says lanica,
i owned a lancia delta back in 1986, it was red, and it was fabulous
buy that beta

Reactions: Wes
if you have the room go for it. very underrated cars as long as it's got minimal rust. I am just finishing an alfa 105 and renault r8 gordini. can never have enough euro cars

Attachments

• 20210410_115839.jpg
    20210410_115839.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 164
Hi Wes, i had one in my boy racer days but was 1800 from memory .Water used to slosh around on the floor on rainy days and in the end there was more rust than metal . Worst part was having my mother drive me around for work after I lost my licence ....never did get over her gnashing those gears and having to sit there and just smile . That car revved like the clappers and was my first ( and last) Italian purchase . Great fun but i would think very easy to overcapitalise given probable " low "end value . Best not to make decision unless sober :)

Hi Wes, that’s my kind of car, Fiat-based but very stylish body and interior, front engine transverse mounted and front wheel drive. In the USA we got detuned and strangled 1756 engines because that was the late 1970’s. I bet you got better performance versions there. Mechanical parts are available, body and trim and interior not so much. www.vickauto.com is a good resource.

As a Lancia owner I think the character of these cars is a good complement for a BMW owner. I have no Beta experience but the design and a 2L engine are good omens.
Mine is a 74 Fulvia Monte Carlo, I just did the oil service at the Italian shop and the owner/mechanics like it even when they work daily on Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Maybe because of that. The Lancia is less refined in its finish than the BMW but the driving is lots of fun. Here are the two cars I enjoy driving over the hill to the coast, 318i and Lancia. Both light with 5-speed CR transmissions. Go for it!

Attachments

• lancia1 - 1.jpeg
    lancia1 - 1.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback - keep it coming.
Going to aim to take a good look at the car on my way past next time. Had a quick look at it a couple of years ago as it lives in a small town (literally one horse) that I drive through a bit. Didn't see a lot of rust at first glance and it ran well. Brakes needed attention though. @Aussiecsi makes a couple of interesting points. Not many of these cars in Australia (that I've found) that can compare prices and value against and I wouldn't want to over capitalise. There's also the not so small matter of another major car project that starts this year - on top of moving house/job etc.

I do wonder if these cars are bits of sleepers in terms of appreciation and value? I base this on the following:

1 Classic European marques, especially coupes, all seem to be seeing rising values.
2. Beta's seems to have more rust issues than E9's (so Iv'e read) and a lot have been lost so there's a rarity factor.
3. I hear they go like a rocket.
4. Aesthetically pleasing design, (but not when compared to an E9).

Probably over analysing here but you look at E9's, 911s and a heap of other period European stuff and they are not at a price point where the cost of entry is too high for most people. That seems to be driving people to look at lower value cars either within the same stable or from the same period. if that logic rings true that interest and demand for all period luxury European cars (especially coupes) will only increase.

This may be a Forum first @Markos for somebody hi-jacking their own thread. let's keep the conversation going..

Arde has had me work on the Fulvia- be prepared to own special tools to do basic jobs.
He knows where to source them.

Reactions: Wes
I think you should save that Lancia, Wes. You know you want it. The fact that you asked a group of car obsessed individuals who have more projects than time, tells me you were searching for a particular answer. This car has been occupying some of your headspace for a couple years, it seems. We know you would do it right. Go get that! :cool:

Well you can sort it out and cross to Phillip Island like this other Lancia Beta:

An I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself car. I had an Alfasud Ti. It would rust and have mechanical issues. I'd get them fixed telling myself I've got to get rid of this heap of aggravating Italian crap but on the drive back from the workshop I convinced myself to keep it, only to begin another cycle of rust and mechanical woes. There are so many great cars that can break your heart to own.
Currently looking for an R129 SL. Part of me is saying "DON'T DO IT".

Here are some pics as couldn't help but call in on the way back up the coast.
Car is straight and registered but has been sitting for a couple of years. Looks to have some mechanical issues as lots of oil around the rocker cover but no mucus in the oil or water. Has a load of mechanical receipts from 2016 for major engine work.
Interior looks pretty good and wouldn't need much work.
Rust - has break outs in probably 10 spots. Some is surface only but you'd have to expect there's more but it looks minor.
The wants 5k firm (just between my Forum friends). I'm in two minds. Need to do some more research and crunch some numbers.
Looks like a good driver car is around 20k based on that Carsales listing.

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

So the car does not run?
Exterior looks straight indeed, interior feels more plasticky than sporty...
Feels like you either go all in to transform the car or not at all.

Car runs and motor has had a lot of work 6 years back and almost no KM's since then. Lots of oil about though makes me think some gaskets are gone. Head seems fine though.
The seats are all leather and in great condition.

Back