NEED Your advice on RUST prevention

simoniko

Reaction score
Hello fellas ,
1. I need your advice on products for treatment after sandblasting before welding ?
2. Products for treatment after welding ?

I have some argues with my welder ! :)

I realy could use your proffesional help !

simoniko

Reaction score
Hello fellas ,
1. I need your advice on products for treatment after sandblasting before welding ?
2. Products for treatment after welding ?

I have some argues with my welder ! :)

I realy could use your proffesional help !

m_thompson

Reaction score
One of the BMW manuals that I read suggested spraying a zinc rich primer on bare metal surfaces before they were spot welded together. I used this procedure when I replaced the front fenders.

m_thompson

Reaction score
One of the BMW manuals that I read suggested spraying a zinc rich primer on bare metal surfaces before they were spot welded together. I used this procedure when I replaced the front fenders.

Malc

Reaction score
I use a product called Bondaprimer which is a zinc rich primer. I have had very good results with it on other steel items which are outside, and I live near the sea!
You can weld through it and it can be brush or spray painted.

Makers details below:
Bondaglass-Voss Ltd
158 - 160 Ravenscroft Road
Beckerham
Kent
BR3 4TW
UK

tel: +44(0) 20-8778-0071
fax: +44(0) 20-8659-5297

Malc

Reaction score
I use a product called Bondaprimer which is a zinc rich primer. I have had very good results with it on other steel items which are outside, and I live near the sea!
You can weld through it and it can be brush or spray painted.

Makers details below:
Bondaglass-Voss Ltd
158 - 160 Ravenscroft Road
Beckerham
Kent
BR3 4TW
UK

tel: +44(0) 20-8778-0071
fax: +44(0) 20-8659-5297

Henrik

Reaction score
Hi!

I use epoxy primer on all sandblasted and bare metal surfaces on my e9. Epoxy primers are very strong and reliable in all weather conditions.
You realy have to work hard if you want to remove the paint after it has dried.
I sometimes use a zink primer on welded spots (after welding) , never before because zink primers are VERY toxic when heated, unless you use a kind of breathing air system of course.

Henrik

Henrik

Reaction score
Hi!

I use epoxy primer on all sandblasted and bare metal surfaces on my e9. Epoxy primers are very strong and reliable in all weather conditions.
You realy have to work hard if you want to remove the paint after it has dried.
I sometimes use a zink primer on welded spots (after welding) , never before because zink primers are VERY toxic when heated, unless you use a kind of breathing air system of course.

Henrik

Malc

Reaction score
simoniko said:
Malc said:
I use a product

Thanks MALC , I've red all your posts , i am thinking about purchasing the bonda also !
What do you think if i use the ZINGA and above it some epoxy primer ?
Unfortunately I have not heard of Zinga so I don't know
Henrik make some good comments and you should work in a well vented area when welding, even raw steel gives off nasty fumes.
Basically your looking to protect your hard work so plenty of good underseal and wax/ rustproofing will be a bonus on top of a good primer and paint system.

Malc

Reaction score
simoniko said:
Malc said:
I use a product

Thanks MALC , I've red all your posts , i am thinking about purchasing the bonda also !
What do you think if i use the ZINGA and above it some epoxy primer ?
Unfortunately I have not heard of Zinga so I don't know
Henrik make some good comments and you should work in a well vented area when welding, even raw steel gives off nasty fumes.
Basically your looking to protect your hard work so plenty of good underseal and wax/ rustproofing will be a bonus on top of a good primer and paint system.

jonathan49bat

Reaction score
After welding I would recommend POR 15 which sticks like glue after shotblasting - try a google - it is a non porus paint and extremely hard wearing...