NEW CSi/CSL D-Jet Resource

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
As many of you know I've been pursuing an intermittent run issue on my CSL over the last few months. Because D-Jet is a bit of a black box and a "spray and pray" approach is taken by many to fix issues. To really diagnose it correctly, there's a fair amount of expertise needed as well as information which isn't really available in manuals. If you want to eliminate a lot of the guesswork and dollars associated with that approach, and to do it like the BMW mechanics back in the day did it, some very rare testing equipment that the factory originally used.

As luck would have it in looking for DJ parts I found Jeff Bowlsby, right here in the Bay Area of all places! Jeff has been working on and rebuilding all things D-Jet for Porsche 914's, Mercedes-Benz and other vehicles that use D-jet for over 20 years. After setting up a conversation with him, he agreed that looking into BMW's version of Djet might be an interesting challenge.

What he needed was information on BMW's flavor of D-Jet. He has a full library of factory D-Jet manuals/reference material etc for other marques but of course BMW didn't create one for it's injected cars beyond the few pages in the Blue books. Bosch did but it's fairly thin on details. If anyone has a factory BMW D-Jet Testing and repair manual please let me know.

In the conversation with Jeff, the topic of testing came up and he mentioned that he had several testers for D-Jet...even the grand daddy of them all. The EFI MPC 9100 (https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/Testers.htm#MPC Analyzer). So wait, you have a 9100 AND know how to use it? Of course, he said, I've been using it for years to diagnose poor running D-Jet systems.

So long story short, and because my car was running poorly about 75% of the time, he agreed to come to me and bring his testers. Both the EFAW 228 that is pictured in the CSi/L manuals and the EFI 9100. Its interesting to note that the EFI interposes between the harness and the ECU and can actually run the car without the ECU if need be. It was all very interesting for me. We did about 2 hours of testing and confirmed the MPS and Trigger points were fine but when we tested the TPS, we located a problem. We ran out of time to run the full diagnostics on the injectors and other sensors in the system but we will be revisiting once I repair/replace the TPS issue.

Needless to say, I was really happy that we could diagnose the entire system without having to guess what might be the issue. Jeff's range of services include, testing individual components, entire D-Jet systems, rebuilding MPS's , TPS's and he is a master at rebuilding the complete D-Jet Harness's. Both 2 piece and the later 1 piece.

Here is Jeff's website which you can use to reach out directly to him. He's a super nice and more importantly knowledgeable guy with a real passion for evaluating and problem solving. Below are a couple pics taken during our session. If you have an issue with your CSi/Si?CSL (who doesn't) definitely reach out to Jeff.

20220219_162837.jpg
20220219_162800.jpg
20220219_154142.jpg
20220219_154139.jpg
20220219_152925.jpg

I received a recommendation to move this to the FAQ. After we discuss for a bit we can see if there is a FAQ in here…

My first thought when seeing the pics is: “Oh thank god Jeff looks younger than I assumed”. No joke, I have anxiety of certain experts retiring before I get to my project.

Given that smile on his face I hope that Jeff is at this another 15-20 years. ;)

I received a recommendation to move this to the FAQ. After we discuss for a bit we can see if there is a FAQ in here…
Maybe a seperate post for D-jet Resources? I hate to split hairs but it is pretty far down a specific rabbit (rat?) hole...

Perhaps this should be added to the top resources for parts and services thread. It seems sort of like that dude that rebuilds our power steering pumps. Obscure, yes. But having this type of resource listed right in the forum was helpful.

Nice write up. Great to know we have a new resource given the scarcity of anything DJet related. I too agree this should be featured in the FAQ if it isn’t already.

Back