New e3 owner

e3Max

Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked up my first BMW last month, after years of my family trying to convince me to join their obsession. I found this car on ebay and couldn't help myself. Got it for $4,600. Thought I'd introduce myself and show a bit about the car. I'm still figuring out what has been done to it and needs to be done/fixed.

Modifications previous owner knew and/or have been discovered:
m30b34 w/ rebuilt head with 5 angle valve job (~10,000 miles on the head, 150,000 on the block)
Getrag 265
LSD (tag #1138A429S) previous owner says it's a 3.64
Triple Weber 40s
Jacobs Electronics Ignition
Recaro Seats
Momo Steering Wheel
CSL airdam
Hartge replica headers
Bilstein shocks and struts
Suspension Techniques springs and sway bars (adjustable rear)
E12 front brakes
Braided Stainless Brake lines all around
Euro Turn front turn signals
Hella headlights
Upgraded stereo system
Previous owner said the color is Mercedes Oyster Green Metallic

So far I've only done general maintenance and a few little things here and there. The car is in relatively good shape and a blast to drive!

IMG_8612.jpg

IMG_8518.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

Engine bay with makeshift choke cable(which has since been removed)
IMG_8475.jpg

With new filters, plugs, wires & some sanding done to the valve cover.
IMG_8536.jpg

IMG_8538.jpg

gary bellamy

Reaction score
New E3

Welcome to the club. Very nice and looks good with the rest of the stable.

GBel
73 E9 Chamonix

e3Max

Reaction score
Yeah something about the lines without the trim I really like too.

We haven't had nice enough weather to the 02 and the Bav out for a good photoshoot and cruise. Can't wait!

The cam is still one of the mysteries. I believe it's stock, but could be wrong. It doesn't have the same warble some of the other performance cams i've heard at idle. Would like to get one in there eventually.

TodB

Reaction score
cam

I think I remember when this came up for sale. In MA right?

When it comes time to put a cam in it, I highly reccomend Paul Burke. He'll grind a custom one from billet for you for < than a Schrick.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rally with us!

When it comes time to put a cam in it, I highly reccomend Paul Burke. He'll grind a custom one from billet for you for < than a Schrick.

Lovely car, love the seats. There is a group of coupe and one Bavaria(RHD 2500) owners here in Bucks County(and nearby) who support each other, drive semi-regular rallies all year long, weather permitting, and attend two local car shows, New Hope and Buckingham.

I hope you can join us. Contact me at: [email protected] or 215.620.7687

Steve ONeill

e3Max

Reaction score

Yeah that's the one. I honestly wasn't expecting to win it at the bid I put in, but glad I did! Thanks for the cam info, I'll have to check him out.

Steve, I'm definitely interested in doing some cruises/shows. I'll be in touch or let me know if you guys have anything coming up. [email protected]

MMercury

Reaction score
Modifications previous owner knew and/or have been discovered:
Jacobs Electronics Ignition
IMG_8536.jpg

Very nice. As they say, you have plenty to keep you interested and entertained - for hopefully a long time to come. :wink::wink:

You may not have had enough time to fully digest your acquisition. Still, to the extent you may be familiar with it, a couple of us are curious about your Jacobs ignition system. Do you have something similar to the equipment pictured below? Wondering about the installation/location of the hardware and any experience/thoughts about Jacob's recommendations, including plug gaps. If this question is premature, enjoy your ride and disregard!

Thanks.

jacobs02-lg.jpg

e3Max

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I have for the Jacobs system.

It's older than the one pictured. I believe Jacobs calls the box a "Power Pack" or something is mounted behind the passenger head light on the outside of the engine bay. The markings on it are the Logo, Serial No. 55558 and Pat. Nos. 3716037, 3831569, 3855984. The coil is in the OEM location. I haven't been able to find a voltage on it yet, but have not really had the time to investigate thoroughly. I contacted Jacobs when I discovered it about three weeks ago. No response.

I gapped the plugs per specs for an earlier 535 cause it was the same engine. Not sure if this is correct or not. I had done the plugs before I found the ignition setup. I am also open to suggestions/recommendations. This is all new to me.

Sorry for the photo quality but these are what I have on my computer. I can take better ones if interested.

IMG_8620.jpg

IMG_8621.jpg