New e9 owner

DailyDrivenClassics

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,
First of all I would like to thank the people supporting and running this forum. It is truly amazing.

I've been wanting an e9 coupe for some time now and I finally found one. It's a 2800cs manual ( completely rotten and abandoned) in Germany and bought it, The car has been at standstill for around 40 years. Attached to the post are a few pictures of my new project . The car's first registration was on May 13, 1970 and it's chassis number is 2203683.

Since I am quite new to the e9 community I'm not really sure if I overpaid or got a good deal. I paid 8500 euros, but the car needs a massive amount of work so I don't know if it was a good or bad deal. I appreciate any advice or feedback.

I'll be sharing updates on the restoration process in this thread and on my YouTube channel which I will link below( If that's against the forum's TOS, I'll gladly remove it)

Here's the pictures of the e9, please tell me what you think: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16idmaIIpUygP6sHUxEf6YqlPUJd94ekj?usp=drive_link
(Couldn't upload Images right into the thread because the files were to big, even after resizing)

Welcome to the madness. I won't offer a random opinion on your purchase price; you own a coupe and that is the most important thing.

I suggest you start a new thread in the projects section for updates on your efforts. Many of us will follow along as you go.

Welcome to the madness. I won't offer a random opinion on your purchase price; you own a coupe and that is the most important thing.

I suggest you start a new thread in the projects section for updates on your efforts. Many of us will follow along as you go.
Thanks for the welcome! I will create the restoration thread once I start the restoration in a few weeks time. Can't wait to start :)

welcome to our collective madness + love of the e9 coupe ... one of the most beautiful cars ever. i have a couple of recommendations for you
1. start a thread in the e9 - projects + restoration to document all of the work you do on your car. this keeps everything in 1 place

2. spend a lot of time in the FAQ section to read about a bunch of useful information on a broad range of topics
a. great sources for parts / products / services
b. what paint colors go where
c. e9 changes '69 - '74
d. 5 speed transmission conversion
e. coupe wiring + relays
f. tire + wheel options
g. speedometer / differential ratios
h. <many more topics>

looking forward to seeing what you do to bring your coupe back to a long and healthy life for the future

cheers
scott

welcome to our collective madness + love of the e9 coupe ... one of the most beautiful cars ever. i have a couple of recommendations for you
1. start a thread in the e9 - projects + restoration to document all of the work you do on your car. this keeps everything in 1 place

2. spend a lot of time in the FAQ section to read about a bunch of useful information on a broad range of topics
a. great sources for parts / products / services
b. what paint colors go where
c. e9 changes '69 - '74
d. 5 speed transmission conversion
e. coupe wiring + relays
f. tire + wheel options
g. speedometer / differential ratios
h. <many more topics>

looking forward to seeing what you do to bring your coupe back to a long and healthy life for the future

cheers
scott
Thanks for the recommendations! I've already spent a lot of time on the forums looking through the various pages and already found lots of useful write ups. I will report back in the threads once the restoration starts :)

Another suggestion... take a million photos along the way, including now before you take things apart. Every corner. I reference photos I took four or five years ago. Which tells you how long it takes me to do something. ;)

And further to Scott's list, ask questions if you are unsure or stuck. Many of us attempt to help others so as to repay the help we have received. And collectively, we have accumulated an amazing knowledge base here.

Another suggestion... take a million photos along the way, including now before you take things apart. Every corner. I reference photos I took four or five years ago. Which tells you how long it takes me to do something. ;)
I think its already a bit to late for that :( the cars was being restored 40 years ago and then abandoned, so most things are in boxes and I have no idea what goes where but I'll make things work :)

And further to Scott's list, ask questions if you are unsure or stuck. Many of us attempt to help others so as to repay the help we have received. And collectively, we have accumulated an amazing knowledge base here.
Great! Looking forward to contributing and helping out in the future! :)

Oh, what a joy!

Nothing brightens up my day better then a picture and the question: "What is it, and where should it go?
Seriously, I love the hunt.

Anyway, Welcome!
Looking forward to follow your journey.
I looked at the pictures, and what i think (as you asked) is that you have a lot of work! Hope you have all the parts with the car, especially the interior bits as they amoung the more difficult parts to find if they are missing.

Erik

Oh, what a joy!

Nothing brightens up my day better then a picture and the question: "What is it, and where should it go?
Seriously, I love the hunt.

Anyway, Welcome!
Looking forward to follow your journey.
I looked at the pictures, and what i think (as you asked) is that you have a lot of work! Hope you have all the parts with the car, especially the interior bits as they amoung the more difficult parts to find if they are missing.

Erik
Thanks for the warm welcome! I bought the car because it came with many new bmw original parts. New petrol tank, new front fender, new axle carrier, new axle carrier bushings,.... Unfortunately the drive shaft is missing :( But yes I do have an enormous mountain of work in front of me but I will hopefully work though it relatively quick. I'm young and motivated, so it shouldn't be more nerve wrecking then my other projects :)

Good luck with your e9 project. I enjoy your channel, including the e46 content. How much e9 content are you planning to document on YouTube? I realize shooting and editing videos require a large commitment. This forum will be a great resource.

a new driveshaft is better than a 50+ year old driveshaft. here in the USA there are several companies that can make a new one cheaper than we can buy from BMW.
You are right, it's just that this is my first project were parts are expensive and I want to get the car chemically derusted after the welding work and " KTL" dipped( don't know the translation in english but the car gets dipped in a cathodic solution before paint ). That will eat my wallet alive so I want to get the rest done without major costs if possible :) Of course I won't cut any corners with a legendary e9 so we will see where I can save some $s

Good luck with your e9 project. I enjoy your channel, including the e46 content. How much e9 content are you planning to document on YouTube? I realize shooting and editing videos require a large commitment. This forum will be a great resource.
Thanks! I'm glad you like the channel :) I plan to document pretty much everything on the e9 since there is not much video content out there :/ We will see how quickly I can roll out the videos because I have a lot to do atm :/

Welcome! Nice to see another neglected 2800 here other than mine.

I hope to start mine this winter if I can ever get my MGC done. Huge amounts of knowledge around here…. Not me certainly but others.

Back