New Member...73 Bavaria...

chicane

Reaction score
How can you like the E9 but not like the E3? They are so similar that it is difficult to like one but not the other.

You have to be kidding. The e9 has very elegant lines and is sleek in every way. The Bavaria is the e9's ugly step brother.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Bavarias are ugly???

Chicane "I'm sorry. The Bavaria's are butt ugly"

I'm in complete disagreement with your assessment.

As a recent former owner of an original low mileage (66K when I got it--75 when I sold it) great E-3--also the 28,800 mile E-3 I purchased several years back and drove from South Dakota to Southern California--or the highly developed--no expense spared hi-performance example that I drove from San Jose to Pacific Grove and then down the Big Sur--one of the best performing, handling car I had ever piloted down that challenging stretch of twisty road--having previously driven it in 1953 in a new 1953 Ford, a BMW 2002, 3 different E-9's and an M-1. So much for the driving experience--all three of those Bavarias now reside with 3 different famiies and each refuse to relinquish them when approached--I don't blame them.

The Bavaria was one of the sleekest four door sedans of that era, were great road cars and willing performers--plus when stock--they were actually a better driver than our stock Coupes.

My assessment comes from actual ownership and extensive driving experiences with both E-3's and E-9's--also displaying E-3's at several car events where they were greatly admired by enthusiasts.

On what actual experience was your judgement based Chicane?

Last edited:

chicane

Reaction score
Chicane "I'm sorry. The Bavaria's are butt ugly"

I'm in complete disagreement with your assessment.

As a recent former owner of an original low mileage (66K when I got it--75 when I sold it) great E-3--also the 28,800 mile E-3 I purchased several years back and drove from South Dakota to Southern California--or the highly developed--no expense spared hi-performance example that I drove from San Jose to Pacific Grove and then down the Big Sur--one of the best performing, handling car I had ever piloted down that challenging stretch of twisty road--having previously driven it in 1953 in a new 1953 Ford, a BMW 2002, 3 different E-9's and an M-1. So much for the driving experience--all three of those Bavarias now reside with 3 different famiies and each refuse to relinquish them when approached--I don't blame them.

The Bavaria was one of the sleekest four door sedans of that era, were great road cars and willing performers--plus when stock--they were actually a better driver than our stock Coupes.

My assessment comes from actual ownership and extensive driving experiences with both E-3's and E-9's--also displaying E-3's at several car events where they were greatly admired by enthusiasts.

On what actual experience was your judgement based Chicane?

They have no grace or style. The E9 is the only classic BMW of that era that I like. I also don't care for the 2002. Just not a good looking car.

I'm also not a fan of the E12 or E23.

Last edited:

e3er

Reaction score
Hi Chicane,

Thanks very much for your helpful and constructive posting in my introduction thread!

Fortunately for me, someone who would post such a blunt and rude comment can hardly be the final say on what does and does not possess grace or style.

I'm sorry. The Bavaria's are butt ugly.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Bluntness and irrelavance are C's mainstay

His negative comments are typical of what we have come to expect from that source. In the years I have been an active member of this board and a prior one--I have as yet to hear a truly positive one from that source. See his very recent multiple jabs on this one thread.

Of course having strong opinions on a vehicles appearance--one he likely has never owned or driven nor spent any time around--requires little actual taste beyond a sharp tongue.

FYI--his banter became so bad awhile back he was retired from the priviledge of posting by the Admin. of this site. We didn't miss him in his absence. Truly wonder why he has returned as what he continues to input consistently fails any positive benefit to other owners.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Apples and avacados. Come on Chicane, you are comparing a four door sedan to a two-door coupe. As big sedans go the e3 is a lovely, nimble, comfortable example. And for some, better balanced than our coupes. I drive a polaris CSi that my wife says I treat like an aging starlet.
And we owned a '74 Bavaria and a '76 Si along with matching parts cars. They too had
"elegant lines" and were "sleek in every way" in their own way to borrow your words.

All of this is my opinion, and even though I don't like anything BMW built from '76 on,too many right angles, cost cutting and Banglization, I don't trash talk them to friends and collegues who own, love them.

Steve

chicane

Reaction score
His negative comments are typical of what we have come to expect from that source. In the years I have been an active member of this board and a prior one--I have as yet to hear a truly positive one from that source. See his very recent multiple jabs on this one thread.

Of course having strong opinions on a vehicles appearance--one he likely has never owned or driven nor spent any time around--requires little actual taste beyond a sharp tongue.

FYI--his banter became so bad awhile back he was retired from the priviledge of posting by the Admin. of this site. We didn't miss him in his absence. Truly wonder why he has returned as what he continues to input consistently fails any positive benefit to other owners.

Wrong again munch. I was never banned even for a day by our dear leader.
Never owned, never driven, never needed to. The car is fugly. I have owned some of Bavaria's finest though including the following:
the e30, e36, e46, e24, e9.

So my OPINION comes from experience an an innate sense of style.

chicane

Reaction score
Apples and avacados. Come on Chicane, you are comparing a four door sedan to a two-door coupe. As big sedans go the e3 is a lovely, nimble, comfortable example. And for some, better balanced than our coupes. I drive a polaris CSi that my wife says I treat like an aging starlet.
And we owned a '74 Bavaria and a '76 Si along with matching parts cars. They too had
"elegant lines" and were "sleek in every way" in their own way to borrow your words.

All of this is my opinion, and even though I don't like anything BMW built from '76 on,too many right angles, cost cutting and Banglization, I don't trash talk them to friends and collegues who own, love them.

Steve

I am the opposite. With the exception of the e9 I don't like much built pre 76. I also am not a fan of 4 doors. I like coupes. I have only one BMW four door.

e3er

Reaction score
Too funny!

I love how you feel the need to explicitly state that you have a great sense of style. Just like girls I used to date who told me they were smart; if they have to say it, its really not true!

I'm new here, and what goes on in other threads is not my business, but it would be much appreciated if my intro thread doesn't get bogged down with references to my car being 'fugly'. Thanks!

my OPINION comes from experience an an innate sense of style.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome Chris, good looking car, from Arizona weather with almost same owner, that is great. For radiator I have done the three row re-core (if interested I can recommend the person that does the work as it was very good work).

The only other detail would be to go for the Hella H1-H4 headlights, I think you have the DOT sealed beams, and maybe a 5 speed for those long distance rallies.

Look forward to pictures of them smart girlfriends you dated :).

e3er

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.

It does have Cibie H1-H4s currently, and the 5-spd makes a ton of sense, but the plan is to be one of the last Bavs out there with its original drivetrain intact. Unless I get *really* bored (I have other projects to suck me dry as well) I'll keep em' unless the motor or tranny grenade - then all bets are off...

As for former gfs...sure, but the dense ones were the more photogenic!

Welcome Chris, good looking car, from Arizona weather with almost same owner, that is great. For radiator I have done the three row re-core (if interested I can recommend the person that does the work as it was very good work).

The only other detail would be to go for the Hella H1-H4 headlights, I think you have the DOT sealed beams, and maybe a 5 speed for those long distance rallies.

Look forward to pictures of them smart girlfriends you dated :).