new member advice request

mark

Reaction score
hi guys, i just bought a csl in australia. the car has 16" alpinas as well as the original wheels, with new tyres. the alpinas are on the car.

the car is being shipped from one state to another; a 2000 miles. the transporter would not take the second set of wheeels and i am quoted US$500 equivalent to ship the originals.

i will never put the originals on the car when i have the alpinas. for $500 i am inclined to give them away rather than drop the $500. would i be unwise to do so? (i.e. are the originals in perfect condition worth anything?).

thanks in advance.
mark

just what are the CSL originals??

14" Alpinas (!!), 14" BBS, or the 14" stock (Chromadoras?)
depending what they are, they might be worth the hassle.

good luck, welcome and enjoy.....where is the CSL landing?

-shanon

I've heard of people paying nearly $2000 (US dollars) for the originals (if you mean the 14" alpinas) so the shipping charge might be worth it. I got my set for free but they are considered pretty rare.

If they're the original 14 inch Alpinas hold on to them. If you can't bear to do that I'll gladly take them off your hands. = ) And I have a set of 16 inch Alpinas on my CSL if that puts things in perspective for you.

By the way, congratulations on your new toy! When do we get to see pictures?

14" Alpinas

G'day Mark,
Where is the car going to and from ?

You can still buy NEW 14" Alpinas and given the cost to refurb old ones here in AUS will run to about $800 TO $1K I wouldnt bother if its going to cost $500

Frankly, if you aren't going to put them on, I'd ditch them. If your in Melbourne I'll sell you my 14's that I am replacing with 16's.

Cant the transporter stick the wheels inside the car for transport ?? 1 in the boot, 2 in the back seat and one in the front ???

Regards,
Gavin, master of the BlueTurd

thanks gavin

the car has already gone, melb to perth. tnt, who otherwise i believe have the best service, would not transport them inside the car.

the wheels (they are 14" alpinas) are perfect examples with unused tyres.

i have no need for the 14" (the car has 16"), but based on the $2k response and also your refurb estimates I think i will keep them.

thanks
mark

Hi Mark, I'm in Melbourne.
I would be happy to pickup and store your 14" wheels for you if that suits you. I bought some 16" Alpinas from a guy in Hervey Bay, QLD, and had them shipped (without tyres) to Melb for $100 with Toll/Ipec. There must be a cheaper way of getting them to you in Perth, even if you dont mind waiting. Contact me via [email protected] or 0407337600

The original CSL wheel do not have holes cut in the area painted black. The newer tyoe have 4 holes cut adjacent to the lug holes.

Obviously, the original ones are much more desirable as the new ones, with cut-out holes, are still available from Alpina and KSK, here in the states.

TNT

Mark

(I'm new to E9 coupes)... I used TNT to ship my 240Z from Victoria to Perth about 5 years ago - they did a great job. One thing - try to be there when the car arrives as they may try to "do the right thing" and give the car a complimantary wash for you. For a rare car, I'd rather they left well alone!

Do you know of many CS/CSis in Western Australia? I'm keen to see one up close... maybe I should contact the BMW club?

Hayden.

Not to hijack your thread

But since a couple of you guys are from down under.....

I am in the US and am starting to look for a CS. I will be moving to New Zealand in about two years and would take my CS with me.

Would left hand drive make my CS undesireable in that market in case I were to ever sell it? I can't imagine that finding a good CS in NZ would be an easy task. So, it would be a lot easier for me to get one here. Plus, I don't have to wait two years.

I know that people drive American muscle cars in NZ with left hand drive all the time. But what about a BMW since they were made for both markets?

Back