new member - alpina refinish wheels paint or powder coat?

TTsf

Reaction score
hello -
new member here. want to know if the one method of finishing a wheel is better than another in terms of durability and looks. and if there have been attempts to finish the wheels with rattle can. can anyone recommend wheel refinishers in the bay area? thanks.

terry

Tom P

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I've done both but prefer the simple rattle can results - Wurth Silver combined with Wurth Clear top coat. I had a tough time trying to pick a good color with the powder coat options and what I felt would be best I ended up not liking once done.

I'm sure durability of the powder coat is better but realistically, I don't expect the Wurth route to degrade anytime soon, not to mention touch ups are easy to fix. I like the results.

If you need pics let me know.

Mario L.

Reaction score
Powder coating is durable, but very difficult to repair, and colors in silver don't usually give good results. I have a friend whose wheels came out gray, anothers had no luster.

Not knowing when Tom P did his in Wurth Silver and Clear, be aware that their color has changed in the past year, it is now a brighter silver . ..sadly.

This is still an excellent way to do the work.The best results will be from a professional wheel shop that uses epoxy finishes . . but the cost is much more.