New Member, but not yet a CS owner

GDI

Reaction score
A little about me and the BMWs in my life....

I have had BMWs for many years beginning with a 1969 R60/US I bought when i started college. I rode it year round in Boone, NC no matter how cold, but usually bummed a ride when it was snowing, LOL! But the more a rode that bike the more loved and read up on BMW history, which led me to want to also own a Bimmer.

As I was riding through a neighboring town, I passed a '73 Atlantik 2002 with a for sale sign on it. The price was crazy for a broke college student but I took it for a test drive - my first time in a BMW. I couldn't believe the power of the little car, the beautiful dark blue paint, the simple classy interior with its high quality plastic, it was nimble and quick, and I cared not that it had no options, not even a radio. I loved that car but had to have my father co-sign a loan, and he balked at the price but had him drive it as well, and he was hooked. I did everything I had to to pay the car off in a couple of years and I drove it until it rusted out from under me due to the salty Boone NC winters. I was desperate for another BMW and hurriedly bought an automatic 71 Sahara Bavaria, that I drove for a number of years.

As time went on, I have had a few BMW motorcycles - 2 black R60/US, a Granada Red R60/US, an R75/5, and an R80/GS. I also had a couple of BMW automobiles, an '84 325e, and a late 90's 528i. Through all those years, my grail was an e9, but could never quite find a good one that was in my budget. But last summer I found a nice rust free '74Tii in Texas and had it shipped to Connecticut. It is a wonderful car and will likely stay with me for the duration, but as I approach retirement in a few years I have the urge to find that Coupe.

So I'll be watching and learning here, until I can find the right car - a solid, rust free driver rather than a full restoration of a project. In the meantime, a few pictures....
2002tii.jpg

IMG_5465.jpg
IMG_5461.jpg
L1007869.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome and we hope you find that e9! Love the washed out 80's pics, I have a few of my old cars from then with that photo patina.

Reactions: GDI

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You may need to settle for minimal rust. Rust free is a dream.
But, buy the best you can afford.
Good luck and welcome!

GDI

Reaction score
You may need to settle for minimal rust. Rust free is a dream.
But, buy the best you can afford.
Good luck and welcome!
Yes - I know the reality. Same with '02s, there is always some rust somewhere. I 've heard that e9s are even worse for rust, so yes I'll settle for minimal!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good luck with the hunt. I spent three years looking for my car. Stay active on this forum, attend BMW gatherings in your area, talk to coupe owners and be prepared to move quickly if you find a good car.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You are welcome. I also recommend reaching out for help when you identify cars you might want to evaluate. Folks here were very generous with helping me find my car, and even a small amount of time from someone who knows these cars well can make a big difference.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm sure you will find the support during your hunting and after. I'll keep for you!