New Member saying hello

John D

Reaction score
New member, older owner of a Malaga '73. Have owned the car for about 20 years.
Car is in good overall shape but does have some areas that show it's age. Interior wood and dash are a weak spots on the car but not horrendous. The best part about this car is that it runs like a top. Never have I had to do anything other than routine maintenance as far as the motor is concerned - save for a new fuel pump I installed this year.
It has a 5 speed. It has Hartge wheels and steering wheel but most everything else is original. It has had a total repaint that is showing its age in some spots but I am not going to worry about cosmetic flaws.
My plan is to redo some of the interior and I have just picked up the newly covered front seats that I bought 18 years ago and finally spent the money to recover them. the seats in the car when purchased were from a Bavaria with sheepskins on them. I hate sheep skins and took them off first thing and noticed the incorrect seats. Next up is to recover the center console parts which all have tears or rips in one spot or another. Then I will take a break on my wallet and drive and enjoy!
I also own a 1986 535i, a '74 2002 that still have original paint - and '75 2002 half way through a bare metal resto 20+ years in the making. Not enough time in the day...
Look forward to participating and being a member here although I am not a big computer guy. This forum looks like a wealth of knowledge and information. Thanks for sharing everyone.
John from Philadelphia.

upload_2018-7-12_21-34-57.jpeg

upload_2018-7-12_21-50-5.jpeg

upload_2018-7-12_21-55-45.jpeg

upload_2018-7-12_21-57-16.jpeg

upload_2018-7-12_21-59-23.jpeg

John D

Reaction score
Thanks Stephen! You should see the rafters in the shop. Interiors, bumpers, exhausts... I have packed every inch of the shop with parts including the ass end and passenger side of a '72 2002 just in case I find one that took a hit in the "right" place. You never know...
My son and I also just finished a nice project for him to sport around in - '65 beetle. I didn't mention that one as it is not a BMW. But it sure is fun to drive.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome John! Hopefully you'll connect with other coupe owners in your area, that's what it's all about.

Dan

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Stephen! You should see the rafters in the shop. Interiors, bumpers, exhausts... I have packed every inch of the shop with parts including the ass end and passenger side of a '72 2002 just in case I find one that took a hit in the "right" place. You never know...
My son and I also just finished a nice project for him to sport around in - '65 beetle. I didn't mention that one as it is not a BMW. But it sure is fun to drive.
Suffice to say I have "garage full of hoarded parts" envy. :D
I had a '67 beetle when I was a much younger man. A little tweaking here and there, and that thing scooted around pretty well - all smiles.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John, welcome. I live in Bucks County outside New Hope. There are at least half a dozen coupes in the Valley on both sides of the river. Are you showing or attending the New Hope Show on August 12. One day this year. I will be there with my Polaris coupe along with at least three other coupes and some assorted senior BMWs. The only kind in my opinion.

There are two completely original roundie tii's within 20 miles of me, perhaps you know one owner.

Phone: 215.620.7687 email [email protected]

Steve

John D

Reaction score
John, welcome. I live in Bucks County outside New Hope. There are at least half a dozen coupes in the Valley on both sides of the river. Are you showing or attending the New Hope Show on August 12. One day this year. I will be there with my Polaris coupe along with at least three other coupes and some assorted senior BMWs. The only kind in my opinion.

There are two completely original roundie tii's within 20 miles of me, perhaps you know one owner.

Phone: 215.620.7687 email [email protected]

Steve

Thanks Steve
I will not be able to make it this year. The last time I was there, only 2 2002's represented the BMW's at the show but that was a long time ago. Look forward to making it again in the future though. I am about an hour from you. I have seen a blue 3.0 around me from time to time and there are a couple 2002's as well. The round I know is a nice example, tan in color.

Phone: 484.557.2689 email [email protected]