New member Sussex England

Tom2240

Reaction score
Hello
I'm on the verge of taking the plunge and becoming a 3.0 CSL owner I have wanted one for years and have been looking actively for a few months so have decided to join you on e9coupe ( I have been lurking reading posts for a while)
I'm a member of a classic Saab forum and its been invaluable source of technical help and parts sourcing for my 2 door Saab 99 turbos, also a Homologation special !.
Any advise on what to look for when purchasing a CSL gratefully received and views on buying a restored example or a good condition original car that needs bringing back to glory ?

Tom

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tom, condolences on your madness. I think most will tell you- What to look for depends on the following critical items- How much is in your budget, How much work can you do yourself, and the most important, what is your end goal?

Like anything else, a full, concise, restoration can exceed the cost of a fun beater by a factor of 10.

I think the folks here, who are well versed in CSL restorations, will be happy to help, but certainly, you should define some guidelines before you can expect any particular feedback.

The market seems to be on the upswing......Thanks!

Tom2240

Reaction score
Hi Ed
Thanks for your reply
My budget is £25/30k for an car that is unrestored but not requiring major body work, I am able to under take most mechanical work and I used to be an auto electrician so should be fine with electrical matters. I have looked at a number of supposedly restored cars for £45/50k but have not been confident that they are a quality restoration. And on looking at the photos of the work i have been shocked at how bad the original cars had been prior to being restored. The unrestored car I am interested in appears to be a much better starting point and I would be able to make sure anybody work needed was done correctly.
I'm not after a concourse or show car but I would like a car that can be enjoyed and kept for many years with out rusting away

Thanks Tom