New member with a 1973 Bavaria Survivor

‘73 Bav

Reaction score
Hi my name is Steve and I have picked up a one owner 1973 Bavaria from a family friend Named Sharon. Sharon purchased the car from the factory and planned to vacation in Germany and bring the car back, but had to have it driven and shipped to the US, if memory serves. She claims to have ALL of the records and she will pass them on to me when she comes across them. In fact as a kid I used to ride in the back of this Bav and it left a huge impression on me. The Bav is a California car with zero rust and completely original inside and out with the exception of a very old paint respray in the same original color. It has always been garaged and was driven, I’m told, 250+ thousand miles with no rebuild. It does smoke heavily when engine breaking.

So I have a project coming up. And plan to just make it mechanically sound and drive it forever. Currently it is at a mechanic for a front engine seal. I am tying to get a quote for an engine rebuilD, but the owner of the specialty BMW shop is basically retired and I’m realizing that I will need to go elsewhere. I enjoy working on cars but since I moved up to Northern CA I do not have a shop and the summer heat is too much for me to reliably get work done. So if anyone has ideas about rebuilds either DYI or shops in around the Sacramento area please let me know! Also I am looking for a black interior drivers side arm rest as mine is trashed.

I am not social media savvy so please excuse any gaffes and such and I‘ll try my best to get photos up and share more about the Bav as I spend time sharing on this forum.

Thanks, Steve

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did you say Sacramento area? I think there are a few members up there. Also, quite a few salvage yards that have suitable engines to swap in if you're so inclined. I wonder if the BMW specialty shop would take that on instead of a rebuild?
Welcome! Waiting for pictures too...

‘73 Bav

Reaction score
1657149359129.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Greta story and great acquisition! My daughter lives in Chico and we come up a couple of times per year. I will send you a Conversation for a friend in Chico who might be able to help and advise who to use.

Chris

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome, Steve. Glad to have another E3 owner here. Yours sounds like a very special car.

As Ted mentions, swapping in a known good M30 might be a better alternative than a rebuild from a cost standpoint. A Sacramento area member @Mike Goble recently posted several for sale...

In any case, I probably wouldn't put any more money into your current engine until you decide if you are going to have it rebuilt, repaired in place, or swap in a good used replacement.

Hang out here. The good people of this forum answered all my questions and were essential to getting my Bavaria back on the road.

shanon

Reaction score
Hello Steve and welcome the board!

My Batcave is in Chico and know the BMW scene there well. I have both a '73 Bav and a 'tweaked' 70 E9.
Life has me in Sacramento currently where a 'spicy' M30 is getting built by a known shop here. Should be done in Aug/Sept.

Happy to ping when back in there area prepping for the motor re-install.

Feel free to reach out for some local knowledge.

...and your correct, it can get too toasty in Cheeto sometimes and it sucks the tinkering motivation right out of ya. Better off at the brewery....;)

-Shanon

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, I'm in Roseville and work on my cars all the time at my "man cave". Rebuilt my '69 2800, motor swap, paint, mechanicals... maybe you can do some of the work at my place. Let's drink some beer, point at things and act like we're busy sometime.

Dan

‘73 Bav

Reaction score
Steve, I'm in Roseville and work on my cars all the time at my "man cave". Rebuilt my '69 2800, motor swap, paint, mechanicals... maybe you can do some of the work at my place. Let's drink some beer, point at things and act like we're busy sometime.

Dan
Holy cow, I like the way you think!
ill take you up on your very generous offer, I’ll bring the pizza and beer. I’m waiting to get an estimate on a front main seal replacement to make the car driveable. Then ill reach out to you, thanks Dan!

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
If you have someone who would follow you and who can understand the experiment, that would be very helpful.