norcal-bav

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally registered here, have had my 1971 Bavaria for around 10 years. I daily drove it for around 6 years. I then took on an ambitious motor swap project that took about two years, a M62B44 engine, it's been running for 18 months or so.

bav%20picture.jpg

WP_20140910_001.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Talk about shoe horned....that's a tight squeeze. The placement of the brake booster is interesting, I bet that was fun to figure out. Nice looking Bav! Welcome!

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow!! Nice project. More pics of the engine bay would be great!

Looking good.

e30strube

Reaction score
Where are you in the Bay Area? I would love to check out the car sometime. I'm currently doing a M30B35 swap on my '72.

norcal-bav

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, it's a close fit in some places, but not too bad actually. The only real clearance problem is with the steering box, it is right where the exhaust wants to be on that side. It's more packed in the original car, E39 540i, the E3 has a pretty large engine bay.

The most difficult engineering parts were the brakes/pedals. I modified the remote linkage system from an E34 to relocate the booster behind the headlight. It works well with the original booster and master cylinder after some modifications. I modified the pedal box to mount a E34 clutch master inside the cabin.

I have a rambling build thread posted below.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/f...ect-cars/bmw-e3-bavaria-m62-swap/61748/page1/