JWH

Reaction score
Hello folks
A little bit about myself. I currently have 2 BMWs. A BMW E91(hot rod wagon) with a N55 engine and 6 speed manual transmission swap. Fantastic all round car for the bikes, dogs, trips, Vermont winters, going to the dump, really anything. I also have an all original 1984 BMW 733i with a 5 speed manual. I know E23s don't get a lot of love but this is my summer car and its just a wonderful car to drive. I think they really got it right with this one. I'm currently thinking about getting an E3 so I can attend vintage tours and events. I've enjoyed looking at all the information on this site and feel that I have already learned quite a bit. I probably won't be posting often but I'll be doing a lot of reading. Thanks.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome! Yes, there is a wealth of information on the site - and great people behind the stories. I currently drive an E90 sedan with the N55 and a bit of Dinan influence - it serves my purposes well. And I am very familiar with the E23, too. I had a grey market 735i for a while and it was a freight train on steroids. Best of luck with your e3 search - I think you'll love it!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome, my family has a house in Fairlee that I grew up in, my bucket list includes driving my car in the mountains up there, good luck on your quest!

JWH

Reaction score
Autokunst looks like were are pretty close. I also have the N55 with Dinan software plus Corsa exhaust and 19in OZ wheels. Love the 735i. Would of gone that way but wanted a manual.
Stevehose. Fairlee is a beautiful part of the state. My wife and I like taking a tour there. We live more in the mountains which is great driving. I see a post here about a 3.0cs in the Netherlands. They also have a nice 72 3.0Si listed. A bit out of my range but very interesting. Thanks

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Autokunst looks like were are pretty close. I also have the N55 with Dinan software plus Corsa exhaust and 19in OZ wheels. Love the 735i. Would of gone that way but wanted a manual.
Ah, well that's the beauty of the euro/gray market 735i I had. It was a 5-speed manual, and it would pull hard in every gear.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
JWH - Several of us here are fond of the e23s. Indeed, if I had more space an e23 would be high on my wish list.

I suggest you start attending vintage events now. During the three years I spent looking for my coupe, I picked out several events and started attending. I fell in love with a couple of them (particularly the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix), and they have become a regular part of my car hobby.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The thing about e12’s and e23’s... Once you own an e3/e9, you grow appreciate for the interior accents of the old sedans. e12’s and e23’s are like a mashup of what we love about coupes on the inside, plus 80’s exterior styling.

I have always been biased against sedans with a downward sloping trunk. There are exceptions but I was never fond of that short-lived late 70’s early 80’s design que. A rear spoiler such as found on the M535i helps to minimize the “issue” for me.

I haven’t fallen in love with the e23 like I have with the e12, but I think they are really nice cars that look sharp in euro form.