New owner and New member from Reno

Ram

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just joined the forum. Also, just purchased my first E9, a '71 2800cs. Should be arriving this week. My goal is to make it a near daily driver. I'm thinking that Reno's dry climate will be conducive. Will go over it carefully at a local shop, and then make decisions regarding restoration. Original motor was changed out for a 3.5l fuel injected one. Rear brakes were upgraded to disc and transmission was upgraded to 5 speed. Interior needs TLC, and certainly there will be rust issues. With ambition out pacing talent, this will be a 100% checkbook project. Will post pics soon.

Ram

Ram

Reaction score
To be or not to be?

I took delivery this week. I had adjusted my expectations, knowing that this was a 41yo non-restored car. Apparently, I didn't adjust them enough. The shape was beautiful as expected. The motor was much more sluggish than I would have thought, and the car was quite squishy to drive. The entire interior will need to be redone. It will need new leather, wood, head liner, carpet and new seals all around. As stated, the goal is to create a daily driver with tasteful modernization. The decision tree appears to fork at rust. The rockers on both sides are rusted. Some minor exterior rust as well. Shock towers appear to be ok. I paid a very fair price, and keeping it for a parts car is an option. I know that I can pay 45-60k for a fully sorted car. My thinking is that it might be easier to get divided payments past the family CFO, rather than one large lump sum. Should I start with this one, buy another project car, or sell it and buy a sorted one? Some pics included, all opinions welcome.
Ram

Attachments

• 13950807-770-0.jpg
    13950807-770-0.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 190
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 198

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suggest posting detailed pics of all the rust spots (and shock towers) you mention so that the members here with a good eye for this (not me) can better help you.

Ram

Reaction score
To be or not to be?

I found the car on Hemmings. It apparently spent quite a bit of time in New Orleans. Sorry for not uploading more pics at once, but I appear to be a bit clumsy with my posts or my files are too large. Ill send more after I can shrink them. I do not have good pics of the shock towers due to poor lighting, but they appeared OK to my eye and to the eye of my local body shop friend. He was very concerned with the rockers, however.
Ram

Ram

Reaction score
More pics

I've enclosed a few more pics. The rust shown on the passenger side is mirrored on the driver side. There is also rust in the spare tire well.
Ram

Attachments

• 20130408_123708.jpg
    20130408_123708.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 20130408_123740.jpg
    20130408_123740.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 199
  • mail.jpeg
    mail.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 180

tmason

Reaction score
Hi Ram
Welcome to the Forum.Where abouts in Reno are you located?
Tim
PM sent

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
I'm on Canyon (almost neighbors).Yours make 4 coupe's in Reno that I know of. Give me a call,my number is in your pm box.