New Owner - That Blue "Hartge" Car

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I purchased the (what seems somewhat infamous) 1974 Blue "Hartge". I was intrigued by all the articles on the webs about it and it was in my backyard.

I've done a lot of car projects but this is my first E9 ... and by far this one gives me the most anxiety. Tearing down a Defender 90 or an older Mustang is pretty easy ... this seems like a bit of a new level for me so should be fun/interesting/expensive/terrifying.

First project is to yank the BIG bumpers off and get the Euros in place. Paint work is ok but its non-standard overspray. It bothers me, but its ok for now.

Motor is M90 and there is a receipt that says it was a Hartge Tuned motor ... work done in 1997 @ ~115k miles. It now sits at 130k.

Hard to believe this car only went 15k miles in 17 years.

Question for the community ... should I try to maintain the hartge thing or just blow it all away and get it back to Fjord and more original?

Cheers,
Erik

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a common question. Most common answer is that if you are fastidious about the period correct look and want a car that is close, then by all means go back to Fjord. If you like something more unique and you feel that you would be happy with a Hartage E9 that is also a viable option. You can research what options would have been available and make you car your own.

There is a wide array of coupes from the stock looking to the restomod to the Alpina.
What will you be happiest driving? The driving is what these cars are about.

Best of luck :D

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep the Hartge paint says me. There is no bad publicity, plus if the engine is Hartge tuned you can wear the badge.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
sort through your mechanicals and other details before fiddling with the look, it may grow on you, otherwise if you eliminate it now you may regret it.

riverflyer

Reaction score
Welcome Erik. Well bought car, I think the many guys looking for fun and fast drivers that look good missed the boat on this one. Anyway, it was nice working with you and look forward to seeing your additions to the car.