New Paint

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Ok, so the time has come to give the car new clothes. At long last, the cracked and pealing paint on my coupe is going to be scraped away, the body prepped, primed, and painted anew. I've labored over exactly what color to go with, whether to stick with the nachtblau, or another shade of bmw blue ( strongly considered monaco blue metallic, the new alpina B7 blue and the blue on the Alpina coupe RonP sold a bit ago). Problem is that i have never been a blue car guy... ever. All the cars i've owned have been either black, graphite or silver. So i looked into silver, but feel the E9 silver is a color that is fairly common. I personally believe that as on many cars, black tends to smooth out the more subtle panel folds and sheetmetal details... on some cars its great but i'm not a huge fan of it on coupes (i'm sure many will disagree... just my opinion). Where i've finally landed is a variation of silver(y) grey... Space Grey Metallic - a BMW color.

http://www.madwhips.com/upload/images/space_grey_metallic_335i_on_hre_wheels_5-568-426.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...a=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbs=isch:1

No, its not a traditional color, but it is a BMW color and one that i think will not tarnish the classic, refined lines of the coupe. I also like the subtle variation in the tone that you get depending on whether the car is in sun or shade... and the fact that its not one that is common on a coupe, but isnt SO different that it will look out of place. The question i'd like to ask is whether such a obvious change will negatively impact the value of the car. Now my car is by no means original as it stands. Its already undergone the 3.5 and 5 spd transplant, non e9 spec seats, carbs, etc. However, i feel that too a degree, these types of mods are generally accepted and have little effect on value. But when it comes to paint... i have no clue. Any thoughts...?

Richard

tmason

Reaction score
I think changing the color of your car is not going to effect the value but it needs to be done right with the engine bay,trunk and door jams all painted to match. Over spray on ANY trim makes the paint job look cheap and will doom the value.Also the color of the interior should match paint scheme.
PS I love the look of that 335xi and sure wish my wife liked 2 doors because we could use that today wish 14" of global warming on the ground!
Tim

jmackro

Reaction score
The question i'd like to ask is whether such a obvious change will negatively impact the value of the car. Now my car is by no means original as it stands. Its already undergone the 3.5 and 5 spd transplant, non e9 spec seats, carbs, etc. However, i feel that too a degree, these types of mods are generally accepted and have little effect on value. But when it comes to paint... i have no clue.

I agree with Tim, given that your car already has a bunch of modifications. Now, if it were a "time capsule" car, with its original drivetrain, interior, dealer sticker on the windshield, ..., then repainting it a non-factory color would take away of alot of its value. But, given that it is already a bit of a hot rod (and I don't mean that critically), then sure, as long as you do a high-quality paint job, it shouldn't faze the people who would consider buying a modified e9.

Another consideration might be how long you plan on keeping the car. If your goal is to sell it in a few years, and need the money for your child's tuition, then preservation of value is all important. If like me, you figure your heirs can worry about selling it, then hey, build it to please yourself - not some prospective future buyer.

atan888

Reaction score
Totally agree ^^ Have you seen the grey from a 993 Porsche I think its called Slate Grey? or Mercs Grey used in the previous E55. Does 2 color greys are my favs.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Totally agree ^^ Have you seen the grey from a 993 Porsche I think its called Slate Grey? or Mercs Grey used in the previous E55. Does 2 color greys are my favs.

Alvin,

Very aware of it. Similar to the space grey bmw color but warmer... actually very much like the anthracite e9 that was mentioned for a while a few years back:

http://www.motoringinvestments.com/WC3.0CS.htm

i like it but i think* i'm leaning towards a slightly cooler tone if i do go that dark.

The other color i was looking at was palladium silver from MB:

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/image.php?u=16728&type=sigpic&dateline=1250432875

- much brighter with some really nice variation in color depending on perspective and exposure.

And then there's the Alpina Blue of the new B7:

http://www.motorward.com/2009/03/alpina-b7-biturbo/

and... blue water metallic, another bmw color... picture polaris, metallic with the slightest hint of aqua...

So its down to those... at the moment :), Going to be a tough decision because even though i can go to the dealerships and see the colors, its tricky because you have to keep in mind that as attractive as they are on these ultra contemporary cars they are more than likely going to look different on the coupe.

I should probably just start a poll and let all of you decide for me because at this rate, the car is going to rust out from underneath me before i make up my mind...

atan888

Reaction score
Good choices Rich. They are all nice. I could also name a few nice blue like the E39 M5 blue and even the red are awesome as well. Since the day I saw Arde's red coupe I realized that red is also a nice color for coupes. Im getting ready for my next headache. Im just finalizing the deal and I will be starting a new E9 project with a twist soon and this time it would be a bright color.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Alvin,

Where's that damn 'envy' emoticon... or the 'i hate you' one? So i guess we'll have another beautiful resto to drool over soon?

Seriously though... did you use glasurit 90 or 55? i'm guessing 90? I have limited experience with the waterborne paints and would be curious as to your experience if it is in fact what you used...

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
The bmw anthracite from the 70's (as shown in your link) is a great color. Just a hint of green to liven it up, unlike the darker tints of the 80's and 90's. I had a 76 2002 that had the defective two coat paint used at the time. I had it repainted in 1982 using a one coat system. absolutely beautiful.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
The bmw anthracite from the 70's (as shown in your link) is a great color. Just a hint of green to liven it up, unlike the darker tints of the 80's and 90's. I had a 76 2002 that had the defective two coat paint used at the time. I had it repainted in 1982 using a one coat system. absolutely beautiful.

Agreed. I have an e28 with the darker 80's tint (pic) you are referring to which is whats making me lean towards something a little brighter. i love the color, but having two cars so close would be a little boring for me. But i do like that slight touch of green in the e28 - official name is diamond schwartz. Its nice because at times it looks green, then others, black or dark grey. Not sure to what degree the the colors i'm looking at now do this. I know the lighter MB palladium has that quality but its due more to its reflective quality.

Attachments

• DSC_1001.jpg
    DSC_1001.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC_0985.jpg
    DSC_0985.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_09991.jpg
    DSC_09991.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 186

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Colors

First - beautiful e28 - I agree that the diamond schawartz has a great dynamic hue - maybe even moreso than the current black sapphire metallic (BMW paint code 475). My 1988 M6 is Royal Blue metallic (code 198) and it also has those subtle changes depending upon the light.

While I always thought dark colors were best for the coupes, whenever I see a silver or white one, it looks great too.

I too am influenced by what cars I have or have had - i.e. too many white cars recently, so I am going to darker colors for a while.

Are you doing this yourself or who near Bmore is doing it for you (no I do not have any recommendations of the level you want - my experiences have been for more mundane tasks).

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
First - beautiful e28 - I agree that the diamond schawartz has a great dynamic hue - maybe even moreso than the current black sapphire metallic (BMW paint code 475). My 1988 M6 is Royal Blue metallic (code 198) and it also has those subtle changes depending upon the light.

While I always thought dark colors were best for the coupes, whenever I see a silver or white one, it looks great too.

I too am influenced by what cars I have or have had - i.e. too many white cars recently, so I am going to darker colors for a while.

Are you doing this yourself or who near Bmore is doing it for you (no I do not have any recommendations of the level you want - my experiences have been for more mundane tasks).

thanks. i am going to do it myself. Invested in a nice HVLP system and have been practicing my hand at a friends shop for a few weeks. Pretty comfortable with laying the paint down flat and consistent. I'm going to give myself 3 months (evenings and weekends) for body prep. a couple of days for base coat clear coat and color sanding and a few days to buff and polish. Not going to gut the interior but i will do the entire trunk, jambs and engine compartment... basically every exposed piece of sheet metal you could possibly see + a little. So the way i figure, I'll be done just in time for the PVGP :) - If the fiance doesnt kill me first for cluttering the basement with parts for 4 months. The only thing that has me a little concerned is that i'm going to use waterborne paint which from what i hear takes a slightly different technique. But i dont have a choice since i'll be doing this in my garage and dont want to poison myself or my neighbors downstream from me... although there are a few that probably deserve it. All set with a forced/fresh air respirator but dont wanna take any chances. I'll just pick up a trash hood or trunk lid from Crazy Rays P and P and practice with the water stuff before i spray the car. Pretty excited to get underway!

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Richard,

What color is your interior? Blue? (typical with a Polaris paint scheme?). I too am close to having to make a color choice. Except for the obvious Polaris (my original color), the Antracite is in the top three. There is a Porsche Bahama yellow from the late 60's which is stuck in my mind, but would require an interior swap - more $$.

Good luck with your spraying - you are brave taking that on.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
at the moment my interior is pearl beige with dark carpet. So i think the medium greys to darker silvers will work well. I wish i had the courage to go yellow. Bahama yellow is beautiful. Brave??? not so sure. slightly obsessed and stubborn? for sure!

OZCSi

Reaction score
It is exciting mate to be talking color. It also has to be a color that you can live with in your area, here our enemy is dust and as such, I have a polaris coupe, a verona red 2002 and an arctic gray e36. All seem to be able to carry off a lot of dust, I really want a diamond schwarz at times, but the dust would kill it.

Anyway, above all the wants, I want a share in atans next project.!!! I am with you on that one. But the grey/gray colors just are something special. My e36 looks so good even now after many years of owenership. A special color in my opinion.

My thoughts anyway

aw21

Reaction score
Bimmerboy. I'm in a similar situation.

Curious to know what color you ended up deciding on?

Andy

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Bimmerboy. I'm in a similar situation.

Curious to know what color you ended up deciding on?

Andy

Haven't started yet so i can still change my mind :) but i've settled on palladium silver. Its a MB color. Actually more of a grey metallic than a silver. The new Alpina blue is still a consideration though.

Attachments

• 2008-c63-amg-palladium-silver-5.jpg
    2008-c63-amg-palladium-silver-5.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 175