new profile posts?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am not sure if I changed something, or if something changed. I just noticed a new section on the right side of my home page called "New Profile Posts", and it appears to be a collection of PM's sent from one member to another, but posted publicly? Is that what this is? Has it always been there and I am just not that observant?

I learn something new every day - today about the forum interface. :)
new profile posts.jpg

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s a separate tab at the top once you select the new posts tab. I also do not think this should be public.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I also do not think this should be public.
Yes, that's the whole purpose of the "private message". Fortunately, in the (2) pages of messages I see, none of them include "that autokunst guy is a real a hole..." :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
They aren't PM's. They are comments they are public comments on an individual's profile. They may read like PM's due to members not understanding how to PM (at first). I can see them also, but my privileges are elevated. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be present for everyone. Dan recently made a perms change because we couldn't edit our signatures.

FYI - For those that have inquired, I can't read other member's PM's, and wouldn't if I could. I'm in the business of data/security/privacy and I treat it very seriously. I'm also current on my GDPR/HIPAA/FERPA training. ;)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Given that the last Profile Post was in 2016 I don’t see where these are relevant and besides they should be private even if they can be viewed on a member’s Profile page.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is an option for posting comments on people's profile page. I activated it yesterday. As a regular user you can post and edit your post on anyone's profile. The profile owner can also delete posts. So if I wanted to post on autokunst profile page that he is an a-hole, everyone should be able to see it, and he can either bask in his new found attention or delete it. :D

At least this is how I understand how it works. Let me know if you find otherwise...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I changed my mind. It hasn't been used in years and it seems like something that may get confusing to users. I'm going to disable it again. Sorry....
I guess if you want to call me an a-hole, you'll have to do it in a PM or in a new public post. :D (I hope not, though).

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am not sure if I changed something, or if something changed. I just noticed a new section on the right side of my home page called "New Profile Posts", and it appears to be a collection of PM's sent from one member to another, but posted publicly? Is that what this is? Has it always been there and I am just not that observant?

I learn something new every day - today about the forum interface. :)
View attachment 56125

I had it too all day long but it’s back to normal since a ‘few’ minutes