new radiaor

Frank II

Reaction score
I think previous owner has installed radiator with plastic. I was measuring and pecked on drivers side top corner, it did not sound metallic, also magnet will not stick? I am seeking knowledgeable opinions on an aluminum w/ electric fan setup. I am in Alabama (HOT SUMMERS) so what about rows 2 or 3?

Roger S

Reaction score
Radiators

There is a gent over on the 2002faq board who makes aluminum radiators. I believe his name is Curt Ingraham. I will look it up. If any of the other 02 guys on the board know his contact info or can verify, please chime in. His radiators look clean and he has been doing it for a while. I am considering two one from him as well. If you want to look at the other site it is 2002faq.com.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Re: Radiators

Roger S said:
There is a gent over on the 2002faq board who makes aluminum radiators. I believe his name is Curt Ingraham. I will look it up. If any of the other 02 guys on the board know his contact info or can verify, please chime in. His radiators look clean and he has been doing it for a while. I am considering two one from him as well. If you want to look at the other site it is 2002faq.com.

I have one of Curt's radiators to put in my maroon coupe this spring.
Contact Curt for more information:
Curt Ingraham
Silicon Garage
6400 Shelterwood Drive
Oakland, CA 94611
510 507-2002

He has a very good reputation with the 2002 crowd.

I'm not impressed by the aluminum & plastic radiators in modern BMWs. From the E36s on, they are considered regular replacement items, with a lifespan of only about 5 years. Worst case (and not unusual) the plastic hose nipples break off causing a sudden dumping of all your coolant, which if not recognized immediately, can result in serious engine damage. My brother wound up with a cracked head when this happened to him.

This sort of thing doesn't happen with the all metal radiators E9s have.

cpeavey

Reaction score
I can also vouch for Curt's work. I had a leaky radiator in my 2002 last year and I just couldn't find anyone competent to fix it in the northern VA area. After a bad experience with a local shop, I bit the bullet and ordered a recored brass radiator from Curt. It was a tropical core and it was well made and very carefully packed for shipping. Performance has been great.

He prefers to take old parts in exchange (the top & bottom tanks) so he can recore them. I don't know about aluminum radiators, but I'd definitely go to him again for a recored brass unit.

Charlie

Frank II

Reaction score
Thanks one and all, but I had a high efficiency radiator installed and she runs so coool!, even in Alabama.

I am now looking to switch the sideloader, I found 81 633csi w/40k crate motor for 1000. I have 4.65 lsd and will switch to 3.45 I think. guy is pulling rear end soon

thanks again, also for the help with the seats! they are nice