New rear axle, new gear ratio, new muffler = new fun!

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Had to get my stock style exhaust modified to fit around the E28 rear; it was old and about ready for replacement anyway. I went with a single Walker 22635 muffler in the stock rear location, getting rid of the glasspack flow reducer underneath my back seat. I'm enjoying the new growl, it's not too loud on the freeway, and complements the sound of wailing Webers quite nicely.

Since we haven't had winter here in NorCal, I've been taking advantage of the opportunity to traverse some of my favorite back roads on my way to baseball assignments. The E28 rear axle w/3.25 LSD and new camber plate kit in the front have really changed the handling for the better. The rear end feels much more stable in the corners. Once I get my E12 struts squared away I'll head out to my secret skid pad at the local abandoned K-mart parking lot.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
That "haven't had winter" comment hurts. The only thing I used old K-mart parking lots for was to practice getting out of skids in snow before the advent of ABS!

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
What the....

The sun and lack of icy patches sporadically lurking where you least expect it are great but what I really notice is the complete absence of frost heaves and cracks in the road surface. Amazing. Probably don't even need springs and shocks it's so smooth.

Snowing hard in Canmore today.

taylorcom

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

My 3.0cs could use a new rear muffler. Could you tell me more about how you installed the Walker 22635 muffler in the stock rear location? The Walker looks a bit shorter than the original muffler & has a different inlet position.

Many thanks,

Steve from Berkeley

Mike Goble

Reaction score
It's a Bavaria, so the muffler is between the tank and the well. My muffler guy made the pipe, and here's the muffler.

IMG_0942_zps4d7a5f9c.jpg

taylorcom

Reaction score
Oh, right ... it's different positioning than my e9, where the muffler sits crosswise behind the tank. Yours looks & sounds great, tho.

If u think your muffler guy could fit something on my '72 3.0 cs coupe, let me know.

Thanks.