New (stock) exhaust questions

DavidPorter

Reaction score
I have all of the pieces listed on group 18/4 in the parts book. The new pieces aren't exactly identical to the old, but they look a lot like the parts book schematics, and who knows where the old ones came from back in the 80s (all the old pieces are cylindrical). The numbers on all three mufflers match the numbers in the parts book.

My problem is with the front end of the small "intermediate silencer". The back end of it fits fine over the stub fitting on the rear "secondary silencer" and looks like it would take a conventional u-shaped clamp, although none is listed in the parts book. The front end is cut at a funny angle and is the right diameter to fit into the rear of the front muffler, but it doesn't go in very far, and again there's no indication of a clamp for this joint in the parts book.

My new front muffler has a very short pipe stub on the back end, nothing like the longer stub shown in the parts book. It's not even clear there's room for any type of clamp to attach the intermediate muffler. Is that just a push fit? Seems unlikely. Do I have the right parts? I would attach a photo if I knew how.

Also, according to Carl Nelson you can omit the center muffler and replace it with a piece of pipe. Is that something my local muffler shop could make?

Thanks.

muffler

Had the same conversation with Carl years ago and I omitted that muffler (the long, intermediate one). Be advised that it will be louder without it but your shop should be able to fashion something.

Muffler

I had the same experience with the complete system I ordered from Maximillian a couple of years ago. The angle cut at the front of the intermediate muffler was exactly opposite to what was needed.

I loudly drove off to a shop a mile away early one morning where we stuffed it into the front muffler as far as we could and then welded it together. I then used a clamp between the intermediate and rear sections.

Funny thing about that. I got my parts from Max also. Maybe I'll drive over and ask them how to put it together. I anticipate much head-scratching.

On my coupe we left in the long muffler , deleted the small resonater and installed a magnaflow rear box , sounds sweet at low rpm and angry at high.
Not to loud to live with

PJ

Muffler

I also deleted the small center resonator, the rear muffler looks new, the long one looks old. It is only slightly louder and not really noticable but it sounds a lot sweeter.

Back