New to E9s...

halz

Reaction score
Hi There,

I've just sold my 240Z and I'm doing research for new machine to fill the empty space in my garage. I've admired the CS and CSi models for a long time, so now I want to look into them more thoroughly...

Can anyone out there suggest which book(s) are the best to read on the E9 series? Also, can anyone tell me how many CS, CSi models were shipped to Australia?

thanks,
Hayden.

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you join us. There are some decent books on BMWs that include E9 information, but so few were built that there are (to my knowledge) no books specifically and soley about the E9. Frankly, between this board and some of the technical information archived at www.bmwcsregistry.com you should have all the information you need to justify your inevitable decision to buy one that's already been restored. You'll pay $20-$25K for one in such condition, but you'll be driving, and will lose little to no money compared to what will happen if you decide to buy a fixer and upper it yourself.

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply. If (when) I do buy a coupe, I plan to get one that has already been restored or is in ecellent original condition. I have been through the restoration process more than once in the past (you'd think I would learn!) and its definitely not an economical proposition.

Your points on books seem to bear out what I've seen - lots of generic BMW texts out there but they only seem to have a few pages or two dedicated to the E9 coupes...

Cheers,
Hayden.

E9 books

Hey guys,

I was reading the thread, and your comments reminded me about a book I had lying around. After a short rake about, I found it. The book is called BMW The Classic Six-cylinder Coupes 1968 to 1975. Author is Martin Buckley. ISBN 1 873179 014

Good book, worth a read. Sections on the development from the 2000c, the coupe in competition, choosing and buying a Coupe, specifiocations, performance figures etc.

Still available on Amazon etc.

Hayden-
Just to add what Mr Black has to say, I got "BMW six cylinder coupes and sedans" by Clarke a few years ago (probably from Amazon). I think this one is slightly more informative for newbies - its a bunch of comtemporary reviews, nothing newer than an article from the '80s. So, it is a good source of info regarding the changes between years.

hi, as far as coupes to Australia... no csl's, about 26 csi's not sure on the cs. look for the later head 82 onward and rust. i have had mine 17 years and still get a buz everytime i drive it.

thanks...

OK,

Thanks to all for the replies so far. The book is available (2nd hand) on Amazon... pricey though at AU$135+...(maybe a good Christmas present!)

I have seen a few CSis bob up on the Australian auto internet market so I know they're out there. Interesting to hear that only 26 CSis were imported (is that an official number?). Maybe there were also subsequent imports by enthusiasts. I also know that there are at least a couple of CSLs in the country too...

Mathewp, what do you mean by the later 82 head? Is this a popular swap onto the 3.0 engine? (as I thought the E9s weren't manufactured in the '80s)

As for CSs, I'm guessing that there are more out there than CSis (right/wrong?)... but that they are less desireable. There has been a red one lingering on carsales.com.au for ages - low price, sounds like a work in progress, does anyone know its history?

cheers,
Hayden.

bmw australia only brought in the cs and the csi. All the csl's are private imports, there are quite a few csi imports as well. The m30 motor that the e9 uses was used in different models into the nineties, the later model heads are less prone to cracking.

Coupes book

Hayden,

Re my previous on that book. It might be cheaper to buy it online from amazon.co.uk and have it posted over to Oz.

The following link is for one on sale in UK at £14.95 ( dont know exchange rate for Aus conversion ) and it does say that International dispatch is available. Postage looks like another £7.00.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1873179014/ref=dp_olp_2/026-2081094-5490821

Happy hunting!

Dave,

The AU-UK exchange rate is enough to cause spontaneous combustion in most Australian wallets... but that aside, am I looking at the right place? The link you sent shows the books 2nd hand for GBP85.00...Thats close to AU$250.00!

Hayden.

Back