New wood / Renewing my Nardi

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
I'm redoing my Dash/wood and going to stain the wood the same as my Nardi wheel.

Anyone ever do a steering wheel?

a1f7e4d6c6df7a9e05d53d9ec604826f.jpg

7e0cd92982b72dc1a920c70ac4809280.jpg

1ac512a60e1f5cd5d13c8507f29756d4.jpg

Hi Barry,

It's all starting to make sense! ;) Good job on the wood! Like many things I have already started to research this one in my mind. I have this Ferarri Chat Post bookmarked...

Bob Zambelli said:
OK, here’s my procedure - it's really not difficult.
My GTC wheel was really looking bad so I decided to refinish it.
50 years of building, flying and finishing model airplanes really helped!

Here's what you need:
Finish Cure Epoxy - available from Brodak Mfg. (Finish-Cure 20 Minute Epoxy 4 1/2 ounce), part number BA-209.
A quart of denatured alcohol (Lowes).
Paint & Varnish stripper (Lowes).
Masking tape (Lowes).
Sandpaper (Lowes).
Lint free cloth (Undershirt drawer).
A small air-brush (borrow).
PATIENCE!!!

Remove your wheel - a bunch of 10 mm nuts holds it on.
Mask off the spokes, getting as close to the wood as possible.
Remove the old finish with a good paint stripper - I use Zip-Strip. If you can find a marine product, that's better. Follow the directions on the can.
When all the old finish is off (this may take a few applications of stripper), lightly sand any rough spots with 320 or 400 paper.
IMPORTANT: Insure that the masking tape is still secure to keep the epoxy off the wood.
Wipe the wood down with denature alcohol applied with a lint-free cloth (an old T-shirt works well).
Make up a batch of epoxy - around two ounces. Thin it 50/50 with alcohol.
Place the wheel on a stand such that it is horizontal, back side up.
LIGHTLY spray the wood with the epoxy mixture.
Flip the wheel over and apply the mixture to the front.
Remember, a LIGHT coat - you don't want the epoxy to run or sag.
DO NOT allow the remaining mixture to harden in your air brush. Discard it and blow three or four ounces of alcohol through the air brush to insure that it's clean.
Allow the finish to cure for around three hours (time may vary)
DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!
If the finish is to your liking, allow it to cure overnight.
If not, apply a second thin coat (I used two coats) after three hours.
Again, the epoxy must cure for at least twelve hours - 24 are better.
When totally cured, remove the masking tape, polish the spokes and re-install the wheel.
Have a Martini! Admire your work! With the money you saved, take your wife/girlfriend/or both out to dinner.

Disclaimer: Every time I've used this procedure, the results were excellent.
Individual results may vary but if you do as I did, it should come out as mine did.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me – I will help if I can.

wheel1.jpg

I've done a couple of them and though I'm completely satisfied with the results, they aren't going to turn out as flawlessly as that which Bob did for his beautiful GTC wheel. I used the same basic steps as he did though neither of mine were stripped. I spent a fair amount of time with the sanding process and used a wood cleaner/brightener on one of them for a darkened (It's dirt and grime in the grain) spots such as on yours. I then applied four coats of spar varnish which has a UV protectant using a combination of a badger hair brush and a foam applicator. Lightly scuffing the surface between coats is required for providing a bite and then wiping down with a tac cloth to remove all dust. My previous experience is with wood boats so I stuck to what I knew. My guess is that you would choose to use the same materials and application process on the wheel as that of your dash trim.
I believe that the finishes were sprayed at the factory

Here is the (Nardi Trivia: about 1966 - before Enrico's passing and when the wheels were made with integral hubs specific to the application) wheel now on the Bavaria which was discovered hanging in a friend's garage who owned no BMWs. He liked it as decoration but was convinced to decorate his wallet instead:

IMG_2613-L.jpg

And this was a low-dollar, fairly beaten up Ebay find which I used on a golf cart for farm use. And yes, I'm a tad on the anal side but this was a fun little project.

IMG_0489-M.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the (Nardi Trivia: about 1966 - before Enrico's passing and when the wheels were made with integral hubs specific to the application) wheel now on the Bavaria which was discovered hanging in a friend's garage who owned no BMWs

Wow Jim that Nardi is stunning. The larger and older Nardi's get, the more elegant they become! Great job on the restoration! Love the houndstooth also but won't hijack another thead...

Thank you, Markos. Nothing like a shiny bit of mahogany and polished aluminum jewelry to give some life to an interior. I wish the E3 had the same elegant wood trim as the E9. I'd be up for a seat/fabric discussion...when my supervisor determines that enough decorative lighting has been attached to our house, plants & shrubs, perhaps I could start one in the e3 section.

Last edited:
Barry and Jim,

Very nice work. I'll be anxious to hear how the 'Ferrari' posted method works. I too have saved it, as I have two wooden OE "Petri Bus' wheels that I'll be restoring sometime.

I restored this bus wheel. Used an Xacto knife and dremel tool to remove the old varnish
Then sprayed with Spray Max 2K product 368 006

Back