New York Times Article

racerxx

Reaction score
Did anyone see the Sunday New York Times? There's an article on BMW's M division, however, the first photo shows a very nice CSL. You can find it online also. The coupes are headed for a revival.

Maybe it's because the new ones look awful, are full of gadgets, i.e., idrive, active steering, non-pilot oriented cockpit, run flat tires, terrible colors, etc. and BMW is getting too far away from it's core values so people are more interested in BMWs past. What ever the reason, I'm not tempted to trade in my E46 M3 anytime soon and that's from someone who has owned many new BMWs. BYTW, does anyone have a nice clean E30 M3 for sale?

NY Times article

Thanks for the link; I missed that article yesterday. You would think they (NYT) would take the time to post an image of a bat vs a "stock" CSL. Especially after referencing it and comparing the wing to an accessory befitting a modern day Lancer. Very "even" tempered (as it relates to shift in brand priorities) and flattering article. I have never heard bats called "blue chip" before. What does that make the more genteel (understated), and less accessorized, e9s?

I wouldn't be surprised if we had more offerings through mobile tradition for the e9 in the months to come, accompanied by another increase in pricing. Have the prices of M6s been consistent, climbing, flat? Every now and then you catch very clean examples in NYC at reasonable costs, eg, 5-10k. A local shop, Fast Lane, in Hollis, beat me to the punch on one last year. It was a relatively clean car for the Northeast but is being cut to transfer drivetrain, engine and suspension to a coupe. To each their own - I had similar intentions for the M6 as a donor for my 73csa before stumbling across another 73cs with a sunroof, cr 5 speed, and comparable engine (to the M).

I would say the e24 M6 prices have been flat for 5 years

Typically $15-25K for a nice one with <120K miles. More if low miles.
You have to like black, red, or royal blue.

You can stumble upon on for $10K but be careful - the S38 engine is expensive to repair, but they are hardy if maintained.

So - they are about the same cost as a nice e9 - I think a good value and a great car. An investment? What car is?

Did anyone see the Sunday New York Times? There's an article on BMW's M division, however, the first photo shows a very nice CSL. You can find it online also. The coupes are headed for a revival.

Maybe it's because the new ones look awful, are full of gadgets, i.e., idrive, active steering, non-pilot oriented cockpit, run flat tires, terrible colors, etc. and BMW is getting too far away from it's core values so people are more interested in BMWs past. What ever the reason, I'm not tempted to trade in my E46 M3 anytime soon and that's from someone who has owned many new BMWs. BYTW, does anyone have a nice clean E30 M3 for sale?

Unfortunately I have to agree. The e92 M3 is butt ugly and is even more of a pig than previous M's. The sad part is a lot of the junk that these cars are loaded up with are because of American demand for such "luxury items". Thanks for the article.

Back