Newbie owner

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi folks

Almost feels like when i announced my first child - am pleased to say after 6months of searching i have pulled the trigger and purchased a 1975 csi fjord blue from Dan K (coupeguy). By sheer luck i contacted him asking if he knew of any cars available and just so happens he was about to see one that afternoon. Photos from PO look good and Dan has taken a look himself and says there is very little rust. Car is currently on a transport from Colorado to Vancouver and should be here in the next few days. Will need immediate mods to have rear seat belts installed, was hoping to have 3 pt belts so kids can enjoy too, but cant seem to find out how to strengthen rear parcel shelf.

Anyway here are some initial pics. Will upload some more when car gets here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64111588@N08/with/5883091207/

I would like to thank some of the folks who have provided great help and advice privately. As i was telling Dan, there are a few characters on this forum which in my view makes it unique and interesting watching the banter, but does not take away from the immense knowledge and expertise out there.

Cheers
Ivor

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the gruppe ... congrats on your new purchase. it looks like a nice car.

Cheers,
scott

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lovely! Your new love looks pretty untouched, original. May I suggest a Nardi wheel and an original panel for the radio. The wood looks odd to my eye. Too many years of looking at the original.

Steve

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Scott + Steve
Yes you're right will need to get steering wheel. The one on it looks more like a ferris wheel!

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
No idea what the lamp is for and nor does dan. Am hoping its an alarm or immobiliser. There's an odd looking lock on the drivers side rear above light cluster as well. Will investigate when car arrives. Was told it was an italian car originally

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Congratulations on a good looking car! I'll be through Vancouver in September on a coupe road trip overnighting in Horseshoe Bay. What part of town are you in?

Doug

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think your close inspection of rockers will prove good deal or not. Wish you the best of luck! Drive and smile.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very Nice looking Fjord Ivor, Congratulations. I just purchased some rebuilt front and rear 3 point belts for my 2002 from a guy in California. Pretty sure he does this for E9's too. I can send you his Email if you like.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks very, very nice from the photos. Interesting placement of rear side markers, forward and higher when it was federalized. I see it has rear headrests, were those available in Europe in `75 or is it a later update?

chris

execmalibu

Reaction score
In some of the photos the car is White?

The car looks great except in some of the photos the car looks White to me (door, inner panel). Was the car repainted from White back to Blue?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome - nice car - what is the lamp mounted in the speaker grill for?

Congratulations! Nice car with a personality.

- The white car pictures are dated June 13, and the blue car are June 28. Either they are different cars or it was repainted in those two weeks.

- The green light is a clever proxy for traffic lights, it uses WiFi to get information from the upcoming traffic lights on the road and turns red or green to match the exterior traffic light. It is great for people with poor vision that cannot see very far.

- Seems to have either alarm or extra locks for the trunk. Never seen those. Could have been used for mobsters to transport people in the trunk and make sure they cannot force the lock open. Did you say it was Italian delivery?

- I love the color and paint looks great. Well it was just repainted in June I guess.

Enjoy!

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks for the comments.

the other photos of the white car are someone else's car that i was looking to buy - yellowbullet here in vancouver. a number of you gave me great advice so glad i didnt but that car, especially given the price differential wasnt that huge.

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Doug (decoupe) - i'm in lower mainland. drive to horseshoe bay is only about 30-45 mins so let me know when you are here and we can catch up if i'm not travelling.
cheers
Ivor

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob (Nicad)
would appreciate contact info for the belts. i looked at andover but they couldnt categorically say whether installing 3 pt with shoulder pt on rear parcel shelf with a fat mounting washer/plate would be strong enough. dont blame them, but hoping someone out there with some engineering know how might be able to tell me what would be needed to strengthen the shelf. talking to a few bodyshops locally draws blank stares...

you mention in your other post about rustproofing in canada - are you referring to Krown? have you used it before as i am seriously considering having that done.
thanks
ivor

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Bob (Nicad)
would appreciate contact info for the belts. i looked at andover but they couldnt categorically say whether installing 3 pt with shoulder pt on rear parcel shelf with a fat mounting washer/plate would be strong enough. dont blame them, but hoping someone out there with some engineering know how might be able to tell me what would be needed to strengthen the shelf. talking to a few bodyshops locally draws blank stares...

you mention in your other post about rustproofing in canada - are you referring to Krown? have you used it before as i am seriously considering having that done.
thanks
ivor

The rear parcel shelf is the structural equivalent of tissue paper. It was never meant to carry any significant loading, despite the name. I have rear lap belts in my E9, but I certainly wouldn't trust them. Heck, I don't trust the Autoflug 3-pointers up front, given the car would crunch like a cheap beer can in any sort of wreck.

If you are set on having three pointers in the back, your best bet would be to have your anchor points on the driveshaft tunnel, the wheel well, and possibly close to the triple joint where the C-pillar, parcel shelf, and seat back meet. None of these options will really help all that much though.