Newbie: should I strip rotten car or just sell it?

moonhead

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've gotten a hold of 2 CSA's (as can be seen on my first post (http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4592)).
Well, now that the snow is melting, I can finally get to work, and I was wondering - has any in here been in the same position as me? By which I mean is it better to break the crappier car or just sell it. It's (economically) definitely too far gone to save, y'see...

Has anyone here broken a CS completely?
Is there much of a market for the spares (for example, although the body's more rotten than a tramp's teeth, the interior is immaculate)?

Thanks for any advice/opinions

Gareth

jmackro

Reaction score
There is no "yes or no" answer to your question. A lot depends on what $/hour figure you value your time at.

If you strip the interior and other bits out of the poorer coupe as donations for the better car, the remainder isn't going to be worth much at all. But, even if you only get a couple hundred for it, you will get it out of your garage, and can concentrate on finishing the better car.

If you take the time to remove the surplus parts, clean them up, photograph them, write descriptions, list them on ebay or e9coupe.com, answer a million questions, ship them, and sometimes get paid, you will definitely make some money. It is amazing how high ebay auctions sometimes go for CS parts. But all this is a lot of work. I parted out a car this way once (not a CS), and it was sort of fun. But on a $/hr basis, I doubt I made minimum wage.

To help make the decision, you might surf ebay a little, watching the auctions for E9 parts that you would be selling. Just don't underestimate how much time will be involved in presenting and packaging everything.