Newly reupholstered seats

mtiger_dds

Site Donor
Reaction score
I ordered a kit from World Upholstery to reupholster the front and rear seats on my ‘73 Bavaria. I’d have to dig back to see which blue I chose, but it’s an extremely close match to the original blue.

I placed the order October 2021, and receive the kit March 2022. I wanted to drive the car as much as I could while the weather was nice, so I pulled the seats in December and dropped them off at the shop. No rush over the winter.

I just picked it up from the upholsterer and installed them this afternoon. It’s vinyl, and I’m extremely happy with how it turned out.

I’d take it out for a drive, but it’s snowing here in beautiful Ohio.
5C376171-A34E-4111-9EA8-DC6ED8090881.jpeg
1C6334B2-FA43-48E2-86D5-B61CE1FAE2FC.jpeg

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks great! Perfect match. I have the same car, except in a million pieces. I was wanting to switch mine to black, but my interior is perfect, except for the driver's seat. I wonder if I can just SEM color it?

mtiger_dds

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks great! Perfect match. I have the same car, except in a million pieces. I was wanting to switch mine to black, but my interior is perfect, except for the driver's seat. I wonder if I can just SEM color it?
My front seats were in pretty bad shape, the rear wasn't terrible but it did have a few cracks.

I've never used SEM. Is it just for color?

I must have deleted the emails I exchanged with World. With the color I initially chose, they were having problems with it tearing during embossing. I went one shade darker and its a great color to match whatever blue BMW used.

mtiger_dds

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful!

More pictures of your car please.

I used World's kit also. Perfect match with my panels and rear seat. We are lucky to have them as a supplier.

View attachment 158729
I bought it out of Montana via eBay in April of 2017. It’s a great 12-footer. The paint isn’t perfect- there are some small rust bubbles here and there, many hail dings, and a large branch fell across the rear passenger quarter and trunk lid at some point.

At any rate, I love it. With the recent uptick in value for these cars, some body work seems justifiable.

Attachments

• 23FA3A25-949F-40E4-AA2D-58C1529DD384.jpeg
    23FA3A25-949F-40E4-AA2D-58C1529DD384.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 74
  • 4A37C4AF-5ADD-4017-9C27-B9F5BF9DCC12.jpeg
    4A37C4AF-5ADD-4017-9C27-B9F5BF9DCC12.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 77

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've never used SEM. Is it just for color?
SEM makes a fairly complete line of automotive refinishing products...

...including fabric dyes and paints.

They are all seem to be good products for their intended uses.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
SEM makes a fairly complete line of automotive refinishing products...

...including fabric dyes and paints.

They are all seem to be good products for their intended uses.
They're good products. I had actually recolored an old 951 interior and was surprised that it held up with zero wear. Hoping to do the same with my e3..:)

alprada70

http://www.oilsdesigngroup.com/
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello @mtiger_dds

I am going to reupholster my Bavaria 73. Black interior.
Do you know your VIN E3 number? Maybe my car looked like this style of upholstery...
Please more photos...