nice white e9 csi 72

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

1721482395594.png

Last edited:
Am I missing something here? A 1972 euro CSi with original paint and interior in good to very good condition,(my opinion) undercarriage photos that raise no serious alarms,
and numbers matching that sells for $50,500. Uncle Sam Dollars is, for me, a great bargain any day of the week.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Or does this car and the automatic French coupe for sale right now reflect the market?

Am I missing something here? A 1972 euro CSi with original paint and interior in good to very good condition,(my opinion) undercarriage photos that raise no serious alarms,
and numbers matching that sells for $50,500. Uncle Sam Dollars is, for me, a great bargain any day of the week.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Or does this car and the automatic French coupe for sale right now reflect the market?
I think the market is down

The market is waaaaayyy down.

BAT is getting desperate for sales. Bunch of disgruntled people out there being forced into low reserves if they want to sell on there. Such is life.

The market is waaaaayyy down.

BAT is getting desperate for sales. Bunch of disgruntled people out there being forced into low reserves if they want to sell on there. Such is life.
I. don't think anybody. is being forced and I don't think BaT is desperate. BaT is going to follow the market with their allowed reserves (or no reserve). BaT makes their money when a car sells (5% buyers fee). They are in business to make money. Listing cars with reserves that have no chance of selling in this market is not a good business plan for BaT. The option for a seller is to list on a different venue or wait until the market turns around.

There are good opportunities for buying right now. Check out the beauty @GolfBavaria scored

Guys

We had a rush into our E9s and BAT became the chosen place for selling, we saw dealers who knew absolutely nothing about E9s buying and adding lipstick to some very average cars, look around the web, there are many with unrealistic prices still in dealers stock. E9s became the hottest new thing to have, many of the big egos have now purchased and some even got burnt, once the big egos and deep pockets have been used up, there becomes a different phase.

This phase has coincided with a weak market in general and of course interest rates that seem very real compared to recent history. Old fashioned scales swing up too high and then down too low until they find equilibrium.

Market is soft, besides the very best cars and on our E9s, the scales are still swinging wildly, but on the downside at the moment.

You are all on the mark really. I think it has been pretty apparent for at least a couple months now the vintage car market has softened and there have been what seems like a more than usual amount of RNM (Referring to BaT auctions only, I don't follow the big whig auctions."

But I want to offer a little insight on my sale, I will elaborate more a little later on the other thread.

So anyway, I had to ask the guy I bought the coupe from, "what was the deal with the reserve?" He basically said, "BaT" set it for me. Meaning, I guess they wouldn't accept it unless the seller agreed to the low reserve or it went NR. Apparently, BaT had to make up the difference on my deal even, so technically it didn't even hit his reserve, whether that was $52K, $53K, only he and BaT know, none of my business. Well it worked out in my favor (where these kind of things rarely happen to me).

That sucked for the seller, and good for me, but I soon felt bad for him as he said he turned down a $65K offer and a $70K offer in the last few weeks, maybe month. Turned them down, didn't hit his personal reserve LOL.

Well, now a week later it is on a trailer on the way out. Got it on a trailer a few hours after I called the transportation broker. Only happened to me once before and I think very rare, they said, "today, or it will be a week and a half." I mean I am in Northern Idaho from SoCal. Not a usual route.

Anyhow, it turned out that the seller is a really nice guy, he is a huge collector of very nice cars, mostly Porsche's, but other high end stuff. Good news was the coupe was able to get an inspection from a very well known person in the BMW community yesterday, leaving his name out, but he gave it a thumbs up and said it is very solid and runs GREAT! His words. The issues I have don't seem major, it is well sorted. That was a big sigh (although, didn't have time to pull rockers but I will soon).

But I wanted to show this comparison, and this is why I am still scratching my head sometimes as to what is going on with coupes and vintage car market in general. Case in point...The coupe in link below sold today, right behind mine last week. $91K after BaT fees. A 2800CS, color change from original Nachtblau, granted it looks great in Atlantic, NO A/C ($4K+ or so for all the brackets, pump, A/C, Labor, etc.), right? Just ballpark, todays prices maybe more. Installed rear disks on the 2800CS which was cool. So, NOT a soft market regarding this one. Great coupe and I hope the new owner joins or is already a member here...great car! Great buy for the 2800CS community on the whole.

But then mine, $54,365? $36K difference...Huh? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

In closing, soft market for sure...so, there are a lot of factors that go into these auctions, is it a holiday, was the person away on business the day a car he would have bid on came up, how many people showed up to bid that day? Or like Pete said, "The E9 scales are swinging wildly" and I believe this comparison is a good example of that. All I can say is I can't wait until it arrives and I will snap some pics of it coming off the trailer.

he turned down a $65K offer and a $70K offer in the last few weeks,
If I truly had solid offers well above what BaT would list the car for, I would have circled back to those offers.

there have been what seems like a more than usual amount of RNM (Referring to BaT auctions only

BaT recaps sales every month in an email (I would think it goes to anyone has bought or sold a car on BaT). This was the June recap...

Our sale rate for the month was 77% across 3,787 vehicle listings, including 1,475 that were offered without reserve.

They are still listing 120 cars/day, 7 days a week. Still the go to place to sell/buy a collector car.

Their sell through rate has generally been around 80% for as long as I can remember (although I remember less and less ;) ). The biggest difference I see is the percent of cars offered at no reserve. RNMs may be up, but it appears to be covered by a higher percent of cars listed with no reserve (40%).

Last edited:
"If I truly had solid offers well above what BaT would list the car for, I would have circled back to those offers."

Hindsight right? Agreed and good lesson learned. I think he thought in his head, well, it will go way above the reserve and I will roll the dice, it's BaT after all. Market will speak. Well, sometimes it chirps and sometimes it ROARS!

Congrats! Looks like a nice car and at "that" number, even nicer. I think the 2800 got a significant bump when Pete from Coupeking posted positive comments. I've seen similar with the 911 market and Rothsport or Canepa. Anything that's been touched by either of them seem to get a 20% premium right off the top.

I'm tempted to send my car there for an oil and spark plug change ;-)

Congrats! Looks like a nice car and at "that" number, even nicer. I think the 2800 got a significant bump when Pete from Coupeking posted positive comments. I've seen similar with the 911 market and Rothsport or Canepa. Anything that's been touched by either of them seem to get a 20% premium right off the top.

I'm tempted to send my car there for an oil and spark plug change ;-)
DO IT, those plugs are starting to look a little fouled...however that service may eat up the entire 20% premium. And what's funny is I thought of your car when I bought this.

Guys

We had a rush into our E9s and BAT became the chosen place for selling, we saw dealers who knew absolutely nothing about E9s buying and adding lipstick to some very average cars, look around the web, there are many with unrealistic prices still in dealers stock. E9s became the hottest new thing to have, many of the big egos have now purchased and some even got burnt, once the big egos and deep pockets have been used up, there becomes a different phase.

This phase has coincided with a weak market in general and of course interest rates that seem very real compared to recent history. Old fashioned scales swing up too high and then down too low until they find equilibrium.

Market is soft, besides the very best cars and on our E9s, the scales are still swinging wildly, but on the downside at the moment.

Prices in Europe have also been going down for some time...
Two years ago, the cost of such an advertised CSI would have been 40-45 thousand euros.

In my opinion, those who were going to buy E9 as an investment or for renovation have mostly already bought them.
The market has become saturated.

The generation whose favorite childhood car was the E9 is slowly disappearing...
The hype for E9 is slowly weakening, which is why, among other things, car prices are falling.

Younger generations target newer BMW models, mainly from the M division.
Young timers of the M division are slowly becoming classics.

The so-called cycle must come to an end...

But a few years will pass and the E9 hype will return...
For me, it is one of the most beautiful cars with a coupe body.
Until then, I'll be happy to go through all the stages of restoring my Coupe.

The so-called cycle must come to an end...

But a few years will pass and the E9 hype will return...
For me, it is one of the most beautiful cars with a coupe body.
Until then, I'll be happy to go through all the stages of restoring my Coupe.
So true and fitting of Becquer's poetry...
Volverán las oscuras golondrinas" is a poem by Spanish poet Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer. The poem is a nostalgic reflection on the transience of life and the idea that love and happiness will eventually return. The title, which translates to "The Dark Swallows Will Return," refers to the birds as symbols of the cyclical nature of life.

There is a generational change in the broadly understood automotive industry...

Most M-division freaks don't even know E9 well.

The truth is, however, that the era of the young generation for whom the E34 M5 was a dream is slowly approaching.

However, it is the new, younger generation of M Division who will discover the history of the BMW brand while restoring their cars, and most of them will learn about the existence of the car that really started M Division.

The BMW E9 CSL was the first car to break Porsche's long-standing dominance on the racetrack.

It was designed primarily to beat the Porsche on the race track.

- that sound...

Last edited:
So true and fitting of Becquer's poetry...
Volverán las oscuras golondrinas" is a poem by Spanish poet Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer. The poem is a nostalgic reflection on the transience of life and the idea that love and happiness will eventually return. The title, which translates to "The Dark Swallows Will Return," refers to the birds as symbols of the cyclical nature of life.
Poem:
Volverán las oscuras golondrinas
en tu balcón sus nidos a colgar,
y otra vez con el ala a sus cristales
jugando llamarán.

Pero aquellas que el vuelo refrenaban
tu hermosura y mi dicha a contemplar,
aquellas que aprendieron nuestros nombres....
ésas... ¡no volverán!

Volverán las tupidas madreselvas
de tu jardín las tapias a escalar
y otra vez a la tarde aún más hermosas
sus flores se abrirán.

Pero aquellas cuajadas de rocío
cuyas gotas mirábamos temblar
y caer como lágrimas del día....
ésas... ¡no volverán!

Volverán del amor en tus oídos
las palabras ardientes a sonar,
tu corazón de su profundo sueño
tal vez despertará.

Pero mudo y absorto y de rodillas
como se adora a Dios ante su altar,
como yo te he querido..., desengáñate,
así... ¡no te querrán!

English Google translation - if one of our Spanish speaking members wants to, let us know if it's even close:
The dark swallows will return
to your balcony to hang their nests,
and again with their wings to their windows
playing they will call.

But those whose flight restrained
your beauty and my joy from contemplating,
those who learned our names....
those... will not return!

The bushy honeysuckles
in your garden will return to climbing the walls
and again in the afternoon
their flowers will open even more beautiful.

But those curdled dew
whose drops we watched tremble
and fall like tears of the day....
those... will not return!

The burning words will return to sound from love in your ears , your heart will perhaps awaken
from its deep sleep .

But mute and absorbed and on your knees
as one worships God before his altar,
as I have loved you..., disabuse yourself,
like this... they will not love you!

Back