No acceleration on startup

RIQUE

Reaction score
Hi list, me again with another issue. I have tuned my carbs for mixture and idle according to the book. It runs very smooth at idle and mixure on my fuel/ration meter give 1lambda which is correct. However when I test the car with warm engine and step on the gas pedal car chugs along with very slow acceleration. Then it picks up speed and shoots out like a rocket.

Seems I need to give car more fuel? or what is wrong with my adjustment. Thanks in advanced for any ideas.
Enrique

Fist of all you need to check that the accelerator pumps/jets are working correctly. Look into the top of your carbs and opperate the throttle you should see neat fuel being squirted into the intake. The squirting action should start as soon as the throttle is opened. If it doesn't thats your problem. If thats not it and you have carbs with different primary and secondary choke sizes then I suspect that if they've been stripped for cleaning the primary and secondary jeys have been crossed over by mistake.
Hope this helps :)

Gazzol, I just measured volume of gas dispensed by accelerator injection pump. There is less than specified in the book 1.1-1.4ml. Could this be the promblem. I will change the rubber seals first and then do the heat pin job...wadaya think?

I'm not too well up on the carb set up on the E9's I've always had injection, what I suggested was just general knowledge. If you're getting less fuel than you should it certainly won't help. Do check that the jets are also the right way round as this is an easy mistake to make.
Have you checked the CO content this can also make a huge difference if the car is running very weak at idle it can make the engine stumble when you try to accelerate and also check the transition jets aren't blocked. The transition jets are located somewhere arround the throttle butterfly and are just drillings in the aluminium casting, if the carbs have had water or moisture in them then these block up very easily.

Back