No pressure in brake system...?

eltonjohan

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have recently removed and renovated my brake calipers and drained the system from fluid. So far so good.

But this weekend I put the calipers back and filled up the fluid reservoir and started with the right rear caliper.
Problem: it takes no force at all to push the brake pedal and the fluid level in the reservoir is constant (yes, the breater valve on the caliper is open). It feels like the system is not "sucking" any fluid... What am I doing wrong? Any tips would be very useful!

cheers
/Johan

I think you'll find you need to bleed the boosters first, then go around the car SEVERAL times bleeding calipers. On the fronts, the 3 individual bleed screws are done in a specific order: top, inside, then outside...
If all that fails you may also need to replace all the rubber hoses, as they "heal up" inside and prevent the passage of fluid...

Hi Bill,
to bleed the boosters might solve the problem.

Though I was told to bleed the breather valves in inner, outer, top order. Which is correct and does it really matter?

Anyway, thank you!

A quick check: Are the rear calipers on the correct sides? When mounted, the rear bleeders should be on the top of the caliper.

Because the rear calipers will interchange, the bleeder will be in the incorrect position if the caliper is installed on the wrong side. If this is the case, you'll not be able to get the air out, which could be causing the symptoms you are having.

...then I would probably follow Bill's lead above, and keep bleeding your system. As long as fluid is moving, you must have air trapped in the system somewhere.

I also had my braking system completely apart, and it was a pain in the neck to get all of the air out. Pressure bleeders work wonders for your sanity, by the way!

Good luck.

If you completely drained the brake system, you have a significant amount of air to remove. In your case a "power bleeder" would be a good choice. This tool connects to the reservior and forces fluid into the system under pressure, forcing the air out ahead of the new fluid.

You can buy the tool, or it is failry simple to fabricate one from a garden sprayer.

Hi Tony,

I think i found one of the "power bleeders" you're describing: a replacement lid for the reservoir that can be connected to a tire to get the system under pressure.

cheers
Johan

Guyson make a good pressure bleeder, UK sourced, available worldwide? One tip is to use it without any fluid in it and just keep topping up the reservior. saves brake fluid going everywhere!

Johan- First bleed the servos (if RHD ) or servo if applicable, then start on the calipers as Bill has stated.
It will take some time and quite abit of fluid, but worth the effort!

Malc

Back