None BMW alternator question

marc

Reaction score
It seems a bit like the first day of summer in the UK, the time when men of a certain age start to want to drive around in nice old cars......

Decided to get the old Maserati Merak taxed and take it for a thrash, it hasnt been used since It had a full front end/boot sides respray and some panel work on a front wing after some tit jumped a red light and made a bit of a mess of it. That was 6 months ago, the insurance company paid for the repair so I took it to one of the best maserati/ferrari restoration companies in the UK and he resprayed all the car bar the roof and the boot lid, with it going back in for the rest of the respray and i`m having the sun roof removed (a very 80`s glass sun roof was foolishly fitted when the car was new) in October.
It started pretty good after a oil and filter change but only on 5, a quick plug change it was on 6 and running pretty well. Got it home switched it of and the Generator warning light came on even after switching the ignition off, and as soon as the ignition is switched on the light switches off.
The alternator is a Paris Rhone A13R 116 and if I have to get one from Maserati they will want a kidney or lung for it and it was only fitted to 2 cars from what I can find out one being a Maserati Merak the other being some American 5.8 ltr pick up truck. Do any of you guys in America have any idea what truck it could be from or a on-line source were I can search by part number ?
marc

I found that make/model alternator was used on Alfa- Romeo, Peugot, Citroen, Renault and Caterpillar around 1968. I didn't find any American cars or trucks. 5.8L was used on Ford cars & trucks 1977- 1996 but no mention of that alternator being used. There are still some parts available for this alternator at wagneralt.com . Valeo owns Paris- Rhone now.
Jef Rolison

Hmmm, most cars have the oil pressure and alternator lights on when the ignition is off
as a way of testing the lights themselves. Or is it on after you remove the key?
If anything it may be a problem with the indicator circuit, not the alternator. Just a thought.
Can you pile this one also on the insurance :).

I vaguely recall a similar issue a long time ago and it ended up being a bad diode in the alternator, I know that repairing these as was done in the old days but there might be a few places that still do it.

Marc a good honest auto electrical outlet should be able to repair your old unit or even fully recondition it for you.

Back