NOS barn find of ....tools fabricated circa 1950

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi, the basque country, a region located north spain in which i was born and live was/is famous for tools, machinery, and various industries

forged tools were well known and highly appreciated not only in spain but in other european countries, a particular brand IRIMO was one of the leading companies those days

you know i try to do as much as i can of the restoration works in my coupe by myself, so the day it came that i need to duplicate a helpful tool that i use almost in all my restorations, a table grip,

a search among friends and shops produced an unexpected outcome, here it is what we found, ....is this a barn find ?

ten wood boxes each one containing a couple of this Irimo forged tools, arent they lovely ? strong, precise, and with an unvaluable charm of old things, despite being a barn find there is no need to restore them, just fix in the working tabke and there you go...

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi, a very quick rough estimation, made online, and based on aprox weight and box size, gives 65 eur for economic parcel that will need around 12 days to cross the pond, yes it is expensive

price for the vise is 110 euro, price is good considering that is an aeternal tool, (they sell new ones for 230 euro each), that is the reason for me buying two,

well, two, mainly in order to have the whole pack, box included :-D

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonder what the story was on those? Must have fallen off the delivery truck or been carried out of the factory in a lunch bucket!

Nice find though and shipping is quite reasonable. I collect Canadian Tools and I imagine you were pretty excited to unearth those?

Trade you a Record vise for one!!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you post the dimensions of these Vises? Is the finish Blue paint or is that stuff some kind of rust protection?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
you are right, to unearth these vises has been really exciting, basically because they had been unmolested for decades, and because they belonged to a hardware store wharehouse together with lots of other items, many of them difficult to name, not to mention which function they might cover

yes, exactly the blue paint is finish, but together with green and or orange paint was given as a final coat for rust protection to keep them ready until the working days, yet this had been a long time for these beauties, and probably they had never imagined to live their active lives so far from their origin

it is not rare to find such things here, as i told you we are in a very industrial area and hardware shops were numerous to attend the needs of industries

overall dimensions as it has been requested by many of you,

the mouth is 80mm width, and it can be opened 130 mm aprox. the thread of the internal screw is massive, so very robust, as it is seen in the instructions, you can hit on the vise or in the part directly with the hammer because it is forged steel and it will not break

length is 350 mm and it weights around 8 kilograms (estimated), it is very, very dense

additionally there are only three monster vises, mouth 150mm, open 200mm, and weight 28kg each, price tag says 500euro (and believe me they are cheap !)

it is going to be a little mess to do this, so only like a favour to the generous people of this community, as i will not charge any extra costs to the price that has been asked by the shop and i have even to minimally check and regrease them before sending them

please those really interested send me a PM until this friday and i will do my best to satisfy your request

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a nice size vise. if I didn't already have a large Record (Made in England) and a very nice Polish Vise that swivels, I'd jump on the list.

I also have a nice Slater Vise for wood made in Hamilton Ontario, about an hour away.
Everyone should have a locally made Vise. Amazed you can only buy them from India or China these days in my local tool stores.