NOS exhaust system on board

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
it has been a while, the exhaust was old, probably the original, patched and repaired several times, after different searchs, and discussions, after talking to many people, including Albrecht Walloth,....

...a wise man came and said:

(real old) stock has the nicest sound. Aftermarket is either cheap or stainless. Stainless of course will look great and last very long (if manufactured properly) but stainless has different acoustic properties which usually are "tinnier" than the mild steel of the sock system. So that´s often overcompensated with less muffling and more drone.
I´ve been down the stainless route and am now back on stock.
A matter of taste of course...

copper grease on use here and there, in every nut and bolt

this is the part that is welded, the long piece on the right of the photo comes with a very short tuve (only 10mm), the left side part is the one that you should addapt by cutting the tuve accordingly

Last edited:
Did you recently find a source for a NOS exhaust? Aren't these parts still available from BMW?

Did you recently find a source for a NOS exhaust? Aren't these parts still available from BMW?

yes, those parts are available from bmw, but first they are repros and second they are very expensive, i bought these parts more than one year ago, and just abit before i got a quotation from bmw, and the price was around 1300 euro

I'm sold on that Sound Quality. Listened to it through my headphones (which have been on my head since I bought them)

Just as an update, Carl just gave me a quote (Dec 2017) for a complete stock system, including downpipes, flanges, chrome tip, etc : : $1650.

Back