NOS RHD steering box

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Inflation?

Back in the day, W&N had too many of those RHD manual boxes - were they the left-overs from the City-Pack CSL conversions to power steering?

I usually avoid looking at my receipts file as it can trigger serious regret, but a scan of my receipt for that item is attached. At that price I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• receipt.jpg
    receipt.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 120

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice price - the Euro is a lot stronger now than then too. Is yours for sale or in a parts hoard?

oldcoupe

Reaction score
It's one of those "perhaps I'll use it one day" things, so not looking to sell - sorry.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I changed my car last summer and its the single best mod I have done to it. Less weight and engine power zapping, tight new box, more exhaust manifold clearance and less clutter usch as power steering pump.

aalto

Reaction score
Maybe i am missing it in the attached link . . . but is this box only for RHD? It doesn't seem to differentiate LHD from RHD in the catalog listing.

I'm getting a little tired of the sloppy/worn out power steering box in my car and have been thinking for a while about conversion to a manual box. I assume parking ends up requiring a bit more strength but is it any worse the the 2002 (which has a manual steering box)?

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Lhd/rhd

I looked on http://bmwfans.info/ at the parts list for LHD and RHD steering boxes and couldn't find a part number for an entire steering box, but there were different part numbers for the worm gear 32 11 1 104 722 for LHD and 32 11 1 104 723 RHD. Part diagrams images are the same for both boxes. Incidentally, all the parts are annotated Also applies to "City Package"
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E...se/steering/steering_box_single_components_2/
After moving children's bicycles, lawn mowers, tents etc I found the box, and it's the mirror image of the one in the parts diagram. So, there are LHD and RHD versions.

Finally, it is sooo much lighter and smaller than the power steering box - I have a couple on the shelf beside for convenient comparison - perhaps it's time.

Ian C

Site Donor
Reaction score
The part no. of the current listing for a manual steering box from W&N seems to be LHD after cross checking the no. with Real OEM in the e3 listings. Same box for e9 as far as I can tell.