Not too far off topic, but interesting nonetheless!

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
3 days ago, I spotted this 1-series BMW driving south on the PCH past the Crystal Cove parking lot (Newport Beach/Laguna Beach area). I had my trusty cell phone/camera ready and snapped him. It had California dealer plates on it and no apparent testing devices attached to it. Disguise was black tape over the two roundels.

I meant to post the pics here first, but the 2002FAQ has an easier photo input (sorry Dang!) so they got it yesterday.... And I do have two '02's....

Click below to see the pics:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,299648/

I can't wait until they hit US shores. The other thread said that they have been sold in Mexico. Wonder when they will hit Canada.

John

Roland Grant

Reaction score
1 Series

You might be interested in knowing that we've had the 1 Series in the UK for a couple of years. I had one in early '05 for about 18 months. It was a nice car in many ways - it handled like a go cart, you could turn in at ridiculous speeds. I also had a 6 speed auto with great step off the line, a real giant killer. On the other hand it was cramped, rock hard and a bit noisier than I would have liked too.

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 1-series

Hi Roland,

I spend a month in Sweden every summer and have encountered the 1-series over there. Touted as the next 2002 and such. I didn't get a chance to drive one, but they looked pretty tight as you said. Much like a VW golf? The powers that be over in the USA have decreed that this series may hit our shores in early-mid 2009. It has already been imported into Mexico. I think it would be great to have them over here to provide an entry-level (albeit an expensive one) sporty car for our 'youth'. And me.

Cheers!

John H.

Malc

Reaction score
Driven one as a rental in Europe, was a diesel too. It was good in the handling department, quick too but as Roland says rather cramped.
It got abit tiring after a couple of hours driving...
For the kind of money BM are asking for them there are better altenatives out there IMHO
Malc