Not your father’s Ultimate Driving Machine

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
:( Sigh…

Oof, that’s terrible on different levels. I get that they are trying to establish that you can form an emotional connection with their new concepts, but it‘s so forced. I’m older, so more in Arnold’s camp: I feel less emotional connection the more tech a car has. My wife has a ‘21 430i convertible that’s full of tech but is absolutely numb to drive. My analog 1995 525i manual though makes me feel connected to the driving experience despite having an anemic by today’s standards, 189HP and no tech. BMW’s concept is squarely aimed at two groups: dinosaurs like me who are skeptical about rolling iPads, and kids like my daughter who wish cars were more like their phones and will be buying cars in the future. If they had at least made the concept attractive, I may have been inclined to take a wait and see approach, but right now it‘s a hard pass.

BMW is so uncool and out of touch it is pathetic. Forming an emotional attachment with almost any modern car is absurd. Take some Roundels and a badge with X or iX followed by some random, meaningless numbers, slap them on Toyota or Buick or the bland body of your choice and no one, really no one could tell the difference.

I expect the sound of the tuned twined pipes will be pushed into the cabin through the 18 speaker stereo system, in no way resembling the actual sound coming from the back of the car.

Remember Rule # 1: Never own a BMW out of Warranty. Says it all.

I think the idea of being able to change your color on the fly is a cool one, and hearkens back to BMW's efforts to do the same with the swappable plastic paneling of the Z1, which was really forward-thinking in this way.

I think these designers are often hung up in their ivory towers looking out their spyglass at the other ivory towers around instead of sticking with the plot. Look at Porsche as the opposite of that. Man, did they sure try hard to phase out the 911. But it's evident that the shape and "idea" of the 911 is what the people wanted. And don't change it too much. And if you must, treat it like boiling a frog... I've noticed that engine is trending more and more towards the middle with each passing generation. But I'm sure some designer like Hooydonk or Bangle kept pushing for things to change. Designers of this sort commonly want to be the standarbearers of "tHe FuTuRe," I suppose. Perhaps when one is working all those long hours and living and breathing that world and that industry, one can't help but become a bit disconnected.

I'm not amazed the cars manufacturers are trying to adopt to the regulations (as usual over decades).

This is really good example that the message they are "transmitting" is not convincing. The movie is really not about the car technological advance but rather to fight with old habits and to convince people that simulation is better than emotions.

On the other hand it is impossible that a man (even Schwarzenegger) can laverage any woman voice. That's what hasn't changed over centuries and could be - in the end - our hope. ;)

Not sure if BMW, making money also on emotions (Driving Pleasure etc...) is ready to face customers expecting simulations of the emotions?
Might is mean you will be looking on the car standing in the garage (as there is no energy to charge it) and looking how the car is changing colors or listening to the fairy tales it will be sharing with you rather just than experience it on your own.

For me it is still like a boiling a frog ... stay at home, work at home, drive at home ... for Your Own Safety

To be honest - with what is coming out of Munich these days, do we really expect anything different?
Both the way BMW treats their classic cars and how the BMWCCA is is a reflection of that IMO...

My CCA membership is something I have had since 1983. Each time it is up for renewal... I really have to think long and hard if that is something I want to continue to do.
(Back when I had my 2002 - My wife and I would attend some of both the main club and separately organized 2002 events. One Saturday morning - there was an '02 drive down somewhere in Seattle. I had told my wife earlier, but she forgot the details. As I was leaving the house to attend - she asked--- "What group is this with again? The main club or the fun guys?" Seriously - I just had to smile... TOOO funny.)

There is not much (CCA wise) these days for us 'old car' guys... The local E9 (and 2002) groups in Seattle have operated outside of the club for decades. And happily so...
I think what we are seeing here is just another reflection of that....

From there - will see what the outcome is for my next renewal.

Last edited:
I agree with the author‘s premise, the issue with the video is why does BMW feel that in order to highlight the innovations of the “Vision Dee” (terrible name buts that’s another story) they felt the need mock an e21. At least it wasn’t 2002 or an e9 (because they were mocking the 80s) but the first 3 series is a pretty significant car in BMW history. I get it, the future is electric power, touch screen windshield, and cars that can change color, cool. These innovations don't make my analog e9 any less fun to drive. I‘m looking forward to having an electric car next to my vintage BMWs. I realize vintage car enthusiasts are not the target of the video, it was made for the CES convention in Vegas. They’re trying appeal to tech geeks. Couldn’t they pick an 80’s car worthy of scorn. A Renault Fuego perhaps?

Even when all the iconic cars we hold so dear were being built, the majority of the population couldn't care less about "Ultimate Driving Machines". Fine Corinthian leather sold cars. Now it has to be tech because times have changed. Does not excuse BMW from taking the tack of ragging on it's old cars. In two weeks BMW will be racing against Ferrari and Porsche and Cadillac at Daytona. Kudos to them and it makes me happy and this tech stuff makes schmucks happy; sell to them, too.

I understand and accept that I am not BMW's future. But there is huge value in us old guys promoting the brand and teaching people why BMWs are (were) special.

I really can't fathom why BMW wants to discourage me from owning their cars.

BMW certainly seem to want to distance themselves from their past - I wonder when they'll set up their own scrappage scheme, to encourage you to trade in your embarassing petrol BMW for an electric one lovingly assembled in China

If you are not a member already or not even aware of the BMWCCCA(note the extra C for Classic) head for the website.

I left the BMWCCA in the 80s when they were already paying less attention to the 2002s, Coupes and Bavarias that saved their sorry asses.

www.bmwccca.com I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Steve

All companies (including car companies) have to be more concerned about their future than about their past. The smart companies, however, leverage their historical successes to help roadmap their future. I'm not sure BMW is doing this. The future of the automobile, whether we like it or not, are EVs. BMW is (or was) in a unique position to carve out the "ultimate driving machine" component of the growing EV market for themselves based on their history of doing this among ICE vehicles. They are failing.

Today it was announced that Tesla sold more vehicles in the US in 2022 than BMW. Not more electric vehicles...vehicles of any type. Tesla 491,000. BMW 332,000. This is the first time in 28 years that an American automaker has been #1 in luxury car sales. I hope it's a wakeup call to BMW to change their strategy. Bigger grills aren't going to do it. They need to eat Tesla's lunch with EVs that are ultimate driving machines.

"Tyson Jominy of analytics firm J.D. Power noted that the tide is quickly changing. "Not only do luxury buyers want EVs, but the one that only sells EV is now the sales leader," Jominy told Automotive News, adding "If you want to be at the top of the luxury segment, you've got to beat Tesla, and you've got to do it with EVs.""

Last edited:
I understand and accept that I am not BMW's future. But there is huge value in us old guys promoting the brand and teaching people why BMWs are (were) special.

I really can't fathom why BMW wants to discourage me from owning their cars.
Not all of us are old, hahaha. Additionally, there’s not anything new on offer at bmw that turns my head in the least. And I’m really sad to say that. I’ve accepted my narrow range of aesthetics when it comes to cars. Most of my likings designed before, or near, when I was born in the late 60’s. Interestingly a great time for music as well.

All companies (including car companies) have to be more concerned about their future than about their past. The smart companies, however, leverage their historical successes to help roadmap their future. I'm not sure BMW is doing this. The future of the automobile, whether we like it or not, are EVs. BMW is (or was) in a unique position to carve out the "ultimate driving machine" component of the growing EV market for themselves based on their history of doing this among ICE vehicles. They are failing.

Today it was announced that Tesla sold more vehicles in the US in 2022 than BMW. Not more electric vehicles...vehicles of any type. Tesla 491,000. BMW 332,000. This is the first time in 28 years that an American automaker has been #1 in luxury car sales. I hope it's a wakeup call to BMW to change their strategy. Bigger grills aren't going to do it. They need to eat Tesla's lunch with EVs that are ultimate driving machines.

"Tyson Jominy of analytics firm J.D. Power noted that the tide is quickly changing. "Not only do luxury buyers want EVs, but the one that only sells EV is now the sales leader," Jominy told Automotive News, adding "If you want to be at the top of the luxury segment, you've got to beat Tesla, and you've got to do it with EVs.""

Of course, car companies need to be concerned about their future. However, I believe actively denigrating customers who own the products you offered in the past is not good marketing. It not only demolishes whatever brand loyalty your existing customers may feel toward the brand, but potential buyers need to be concerned that you may, in the future, treat them this same way.

Back