Now that’s a daily driver

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seen in Port Townsend, Washington.
C13B995A-A624-4933-A06C-F38A69BA4CDA.jpeg

Dowst

Reaction score
A rare sight to see something like this nowadays, at least in the northeast. But come on—how hard is it to find a couple of trim pieces and let the car rust away with dignity?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A rare sight to see something like this nowadays, at least in the northeast. But come on—how hard is it to find a couple of trim pieces and let the car rust away with dignity?

I see quite a few of 2002 beaters around town in WA. The PNW is full of not-so-pretty 70’s classics. Lots of running volvos and mercedes.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Actually looks pretty solid, I like the campy wheels and the Recaros. We're going to be in Port Townsend in a couple of weeks, I'll keep an eye out.
Agreed, it seemed pretty solid in person. It was parked outside the Maritime Center near Point Hudson. My money is on it belonging to somebody in the wooden boat building workshop there.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed, it seemed pretty solid in person. It was parked outside the Maritime Center near Point Hudson. My money is on it belonging to somebody in the wooden boat building workshop there.

My daughter's boyfriend is attending the wooden boat building school there, he's name is Noah. I kid you not.

He continues to pursue his dreams. :rolleyes: She's grounded, college grad with honors, with a good job. Frustrating but you can't pick who they pick.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My daughter's boyfriend is attending the wooden boat building school there, he's name is Noah. I kid you not.

He continues to pursue his dreams. :rolleyes: She's grounded, college grad with honors, with a good job. Frustrating but you can't pick who they pick.
I feel your pain...though with the rains we are getting in California that wooden Ark may come handy. Scott could have used it in Sanibel...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

E9 world keeps getting smaller. A friend of mine services his sailboat there, and had pulled a number of deck hands from that school.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score

I binged this wooden boat builder’s YouTube channel over the holidays. He’s been restoring a 109 year old wooden sailing yacht for over 5 years. It’s a fascinating process. He purchased it out of dry dock in Portland for $1.00. It was due to be scrapped. Currently in it’s final stages in Port Townsend. I’d let him marry my daughter in a heartbeat.
;)
Here‘s where it all started:

Last edited:

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
John Steinbeck's "yacht" the Western Flyer is being restored in Port Townsend, although we never caught sight of it.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Here in Florida, some of the carpenters make well above 80/hr... and that was last I checked before COVID. Probably much more now. That can afford a decent life provided one doesn't fall into the substance abuse traps in which so many tradespeople find themselves. Dad's been restoring a locally-built boat, a Rybovich, for some time, and in the process I've absorbed quite a bit through osmosis. Lots of attrition in the field, much like with ye olde cars, and like with many things, talent and money is coalescing at the extreme ends of the market. In fact, some of the high end carpenters I've met do a lot of woodwork for some of the car restoration shops around Palm Beach, or do a bit of work here and there in high end homes and offices. Wood is wood, I guess!

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I binged this wooden boat builder’s YouTube channel over the holidays. He’s been restoring a 109 year old wooden sailing yacht for over 5 years. It’s a fascinating process. He purchased it out of dry dock in Portland for $1.00. It was due to be scrapped. Currently in it’s final stages in Port Townsend. I’d let him marry my daughter in a heartbeat.
;)
Here‘s where it all started:
This is a great series and I strongly recommend it.

There's been a bit of a renaissance in the construction of classic-type boats. Brooklin, a neat little yard up in the northeast, built a remake of Hemingway's boat, the Pilar, see here:
and I had a chance to go aboard it at the Palm Beach Boat Show back in 2021 or so. Just magnificent. I love seeing stuff like this. https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/n...cle_626b2a13-4eb2-5384-9ff6-a8a7ebd1a5af.html What attention to detail! It helps that the Pilar was originally a Brooklin, too, I believe.

Relatedly, at the show this year...