Oh, and another thing Larry, or whatever your name is

corsachili

Reaction score
Don't turn your nose up at me you manicuring having metro. I won't take attitude from someone that doesn't know a Torx head bolt from a Torque wrench. I just won't patronize your store if I ever decide to pry open my wallet for one of your new cars. I'll buy it from the Franz und Dieter at ze factory.

So there!

I feel better now. Thanks. (wow, twice in 5 minutes, haven't done that since I was 18. Time for a nap now. = )

Don't turn your nose up at me you manicuring having metro. I won't take attitude from someone that doesn't know a Torx head bolt from a Torque wrench. I just won't patronize your store if I ever decide to pry open my wallet for one of your new cars. I'll buy it from the Franz und Dieter at ze factory.

So there!

I feel better now. Thanks. (wow, twice in 5 minutes, haven't done that since I was 18. Time for a nap now. = )

So what's up? Details please.

I know what you mean. Thankfully, I found a local service manager that used to be an actual mechanic. He worked in Germany for many years, practically rebuilt a M1 from parts. He was the only guy in the place that knew what an E9 was. Of course, working at a dealer, he will never see any of my cars, but it was still good to know.

I asked him about the N62 engine, from a serviceability standpoint, and sure enough, he said he was "wary" of the new cars. They have too much technology, and not enough actual hardware to back it up. Things have been going downhill since BMW started doing FEA on various parts. The last really solid BMW I have ever driven was the E34. The E39 wasn't quite so bad, but it still had some rattles and the exterior trim liked to fly off.

I feel you, TJ. Today, I drove my boss to the shop for the umpteenth time to pick up his 540i from service. I recently lost my mind and bought a '92 Range Rover, which was our transpo. As we talked on the way, the subject of the cost of the RR came up. "These things are cheap", I said (so true, I payed the princely sum of $3750 for mine). "There's a reason for that" he replied. I looked at him and said "Are you serious?! Who's driving who to the shop?"

If I tallied all the money I have in my e9, e12 and the Rangie, I'd still be short of the tariff for a new 5 series. Cost of ownership my arse...

Agreed

I would agree with you on the latest editions of the Bangle influenced BMW's. The new e90's don't even have DIPSTICKS! Nor do they have drain plugs for the diff. "Lifetime Fluid": yeah right. But my e46 M3 runs like a swiss watch (knock on wood), and I do ALL of the maintenance myself (including the valve adjustments). I have yet to run across anything that I can't handle as far as mechanicals. Every once in a while I may need to take it in to the dealer if there is something relating to the GT1 (MODIS) system, but that's only because I don't want to spend 10 grand on a laptop and some software.

Funny thing....just got back from getting my haircut and my barber was gloating about the new 328xi coupe that he just leased. He was most impressed with the fact the car had no dipstick.

I, of course, smiled and kept my opinion to myself. I guess the salesmen, on the dealers floor, are instructed to use the fact that the car has no dipstick as a selling feature.

Welcome to BMW of the 21st century....me I like to have the ability to see how much oil I have at any given time.

New porsches don't have dipsticks either. I don't get it. Why NOT have a dipstick? I don't mind the electronic sensor and sometimes it gives me something to do while I'm at a stoplight or something, but it just doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, it is pretty odd. This is pure speculation, but maybe...

1. Manufacturers think customers will be less likely to question the sanity of 15,000 mile oil changes if they can't look at the oil.

2. Getting rid of an unregulated crankcase vent somehow improves engine management, i.e. emissions.

Funny thing....just got back from getting my haircut and my barber was gloating about the new 328xi coupe that he just leased. He was most impressed with the fact the car had no dipstick.

I, of course, smiled and kept my opinion to myself. I guess the salesmen, on the dealers floor, are instructed to use the fact that the car has no dipstick as a selling feature.

Welcome to BMW of the 21st century....me I like to have the ability to see how much oil I have at any given time.

I know a lot of DIY'ers are none too happy about this. They are already looking at work arounds.

Back