OH Boy !! Look what I found......:}

kasbatts said:
Mmmm, very nice $28950 love that price! They just keep going up

Prics is listed in pounds...more like..$56 837

Wow. In U.S. dollars the would be $54k. Dammit, there goes the market again for cared for coupes..... besmirching the credibility of well respected classic car magazines. Who da thunk this could keep happening?

I beg to differ on the the Ceylon factor...I think its just regular run of the mill enthusiast/collector people who recognize classic value.

Wow. In U.S. dollars the would be $54k. Dammit, there goes the market again for cared for coupes..... besmirching the credibility of well respected classic car magazines. Who da thunk this could keep happening?

I beg to differ on the the Ceylon factor...I think its just regular run of the mill enthusiast/collector people who recognize classic value.

I could ask $100K for my coupe. It doesn't mean I'm going to get it. Do you think this guy is going to get $57K for his?

Hey Trip,

Demand can be a fickle thing, based on a range of psychological factors that affect perception, and ultimately the market. Hindsight is perfect of course, but I don't think many of us would have predicted the muscle car thing, or that Nehru jackets would be in and out of fashion so quickly.....

However, a core group of passionate believers can influence others with their recognition of value. Together with a limited supply, it creates the slow but steady appreciation we've seen.

Thats one reason many coupe owners report difficulty accepting the prices of recent sales, yet would not sell their own cars for anywhere near what they paid. This is the kind of insular dynamic that often isn't recognized.

So you're right, its not likely you'd get 100k simply because you asked for it. We're not seeing the herd mentality of muscle cars. But if you've got a well cared for coupe, recent sales provide the increasing price ranges.

As long as we continue to recognize, value and enjoy coupes for what they are....classic beauties, appreciation will move accordingly.

And once again, it doesn't hurt that the well cared for coupes are only sold with much difficulty....and when the price makes it less painful.

I haven't seen your car, but I suspect that you'd also be in this reference group.

Hey Trip,

Demand can be a fickle thing, based on a range of psychological factors that affect perception, and ultimately the market. Hindsight is perfect of course, but I don't think many of us would have predicted the muscle car thing, or that Nehru jackets would be in and out of fashion so quickly.....

However, a core group of passionate believers can influence others with their recognition of value. Together with a limited supply, it creates the slow but steady appreciation we've seen.

Thats one reason many coupe owners report difficulty accepting the prices of recent sales, yet would not sell their own cars for anywhere near what they paid. This is the kind of insular dynamic that often isn't recognized.

So you're right, its not likely you'd get 100k simply because you asked for it. We're not seeing the herd mentality of muscle cars. But if you've got a well cared for coupe, recent sales provide the increasing price ranges.

As long as we continue to recognize, value and enjoy coupes for what they are....classic beauties, appreciation will move accordingly.

And once again, it doesn't hurt that the well cared for coupes are only sold with much difficulty....and when the price makes it less painful.

I haven't seen your car, but I suspect that you'd also be in this reference group.

I don't care about the "value" of my coupe. I love my coupe, I love working on my coupe and I have fun with my coupe. I'm not going to try "talking up" the market to convince other people that my car has value. My car has value to me and that is all that matters.

Damn, this flurry of premium coupes asking and receiving top dollar doesn't help me one bit because I never intend to sell! Well, that's not totally true, it does help in the sense that I love the fact that exceptional cars are being recognized not only for their quality, but economically as well. A business-minded collector may not pay top dollar, but an enthusiast will step up and pay for something he/she wants. That's why I paid more for my coupe two years ago. It may be a decision made with the heart, but there are plenty of us around. Otherwise, how does one explain the current muscle car mania?

Unless you have the passion and are willing to make the serious commitment a restoration requires, you are always better off buying the very best example you can find and afford. And if those examples are getting harder and harder to find, that only makes me feel better about my car.

And the Ceylon paint from 35 years ago shows that not only do today's car designer's lack a sense of style and proportion, they also have a poor sense of color.

"My car has value to me and that is all that matters."

Now if that's not passion, I don't know what is...LOL. All of us on this board suffer from it, and enjoy it. It occurs without the affirmation or validation of others. Parodixically, it's also what gets attention. Whether we intend it or not, it has contributed to rises in prices.

It just the kind of passion and value I had for my 2002, that caused a young filmmaker to travel from Hawaii to NYC to buy my 2002. He drove it to LA, and shipped home.

Like us, I think he also understands the price rises for well cared for 2002's, and would only sell to someone who can also recogzize the passion that creates value.

As you said Tripp, its a passion that only need
matter to individuals.

Can someone tell me what this means:

"So commonly, polished classics normally let themselves down especially when driven hard! Inherently to CSi over run is always avoided - smoke is embarrassing! Due to high CO% parameters crank case dilution takes its toll."

Smoking on overrun is not inherent to CSi's -- only tired ones with leaky vavle guides and rings. Sounds like a misleading way to say it needs a rebuild.

Back