ohh the tension

swanny

Reaction score
All,

I am definitely stricken with the "coupe-virus"! Would appreciate your input on the following: looking at exquisite 3.0cs to be a daily driver here in mild-weathered Northern California. Previously owned several 2002's and loved them, but jumped to a 97 328i 6 years ago. Having been away from the older cars, my anxiety is high that a) these cars may not handle 8-12k miles/year of driving or b) that it would be sacrilegious to subject such a special car to such use or c) both.

Your time and honesty is appreciated!

a) they can handle the mileage
b) yes

Your best solution is a specimen with good mechanicals and medium rust. It then becomes a race between wearing the engine before the rust kills it, and you'll be happy to put miles. Engines die by miles and rust kills by time.

I played that game with a Euro 77 E24. Rust won.

Thanks for your honesty about the miles and the sacrilege - if all goes well at the mechanic, I could be committing the ultimate sin starting tomorrow....at least I will have a big grin on my face....

Thanks for your honesty about the miles and the sacrilege - if all goes well at the mechanic, I could be committing the ultimate sin starting tomorrow....at least I will have a big grin on my face....

You would only be doing such if you let it dissolve into a rust stain. If you maintain it and keep it from being consumed, then driving it is fine. It is supposed to be driven. Heck, if the coupe ends up like my 540, it will get cranky if it is not driven.

Back