Oil Filter Details, O ring and way up?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I understand that this is the correct oil filter for a standard E9. OX15 D by Mahle.

Which way up does the oil filter go, or does it not matter? You can see that the paper filter element has a band that covers 90% of it, does the more open section go at the top or bottom? Writing face up?

This filter comes with a square section O ring, this is a little too large for the filter casing. I have several the same size from previous filters. Does everyone else have this issue? I recall once being sold a round O ring that fits perfectly.

Attachments

• CD028DB1-60D0-457A-ADCF-B79A6FB7E067.jpeg
    CD028DB1-60D0-457A-ADCF-B79A6FB7E067.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 120
@Cornishman
I understand that this is the correct oil filter for a standard E9. OX15 D by Mahle. YES IT IS

Which way up does the oil filter go, or does it not matter? You can see that the paper filter element has a band that covers 90% of it, does the more open section go at the top or bottom? Writing face up? DOESNT MATTER

This filter comes with a square section O ring, this is a little too large for the filter casing. I have several the same size from previous filters. Does everyone else have this issue? I recall once being sold a round O ring that fits perfectly.

THE SQUARE SEAL WORKS OK, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE A BIT CAREFUL, JUST PUT IT IN PLACE AND MAKESURE THAT YOU DO NOT TRAP IT OUTSIDE WHILE PUTING THE BIG BOLT, MY ADVICE IS ROTATE THE FILTER BODY WHILE PUTING THE BOLT IN PLACE[/QUOTE]

Thanks DeQ.
I agree removing the filter manifold is the way to do it. I bought a batch of those gaskets.
Next time I will try again to fit that square section O Ring.

take a look at post #18

the engine oil filter thing,

well trying to explain a couple of things here,

1 first the process that i follow, i have the original factory setup, so bottom bolt,

i find the best way to remove the four bolts that secure the filter support, you can place a bag around the thing and pick the filter from the top, it works pretty well, it is dirty, as some drops will spill here and there , but uf you clean inmediately

2 the famous little plate responsible for adequately closing the circuit inside the filter, you will see that this plate always appears glued to the cartridge, so if you or your mechanic does not know about it he you will throw it away

Thanks DeQ, yes, I follow your process for oil changes.
I agree, that filter plate tries to hide and be thrown away, luckily mine is still present.

Back