oil leak and injector resistance

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
The csl has developed a rather serious oil leak lately. It appears to be coming from the head gasket at the back above the bell housing.

Should I have a go at torqueing it down or just bite the bullet?

Also in reading an old post started by TJ i noticed people saying the injectors should have 2.2 ohms resistance. Mine are from a Jag but the guy who fitted them said they had the same flow and resistance. Upon checking them now they all have 2.6 ohms resistance.

What would this lead to?

Thanks,

Rohan

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
oil leak...maybe the pressure sensor , or rear cam cover..

DSC_0123-1.jpg

Barry

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Barry,

that sure looks good!
I think the pressure sender is leaking a bit but the back plate seems not to be from feeling it - not dirty/wet etc. I have no insulation so can also see a good bit more down there. It definitely looks like its from the head gasket unfortunately.

gazzol

Reaction score
I've never heard of the M30 losing oil from the head gasket before, but it is common for the plate at the back of the head to leak as Barry says, I had to do mine last month. Its worth having another look as it's a much easier/quicker fix that pulling the whole head off.
2.6 Ohms is fine although if you want to be picky you will get slightly less fuel per given pulse duration. It is worth doing a C.O. check and/or look at the colour of the plugs after a run.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Gary,

On the rolling road they said the mixture was fine. The plugs looked ok last time I took them out as well.

I thought it would be that camshaft plate also but it seems not - I will have a proper look this weekend to make sure by jacking the engine forward a bit after loosening the propshaft.

If it does then appear to be the head gasket would you re torque the head?

Thanks,

Rohan

gazzol

Reaction score
You could try re-torquing the head and see what happens, don't over tighten too much though. On very rare occasions it is possible for a head bolt to fracture at the base of the thread, this spreads through the bolt which then stretches. If you have some (or at least one) spare head bolts take one bolt out while the engine is stone cold and examine the thread very carefully the pitch should be uniform if any threads appear to be wider then the bolt is about to fail. Personaly I've only encountered this stituation once (but I've heard of others) in 26 years spannering and coincidentally it was a BMW a 750 and the bolt had snapped completely giving the symptoms of a blown gasket (loosing coolant with hydrocabons in the coolant) but it wouldn't pressurise the cooling system till you put the engine under load driving.
Any way I digress give it a go by all means.
Regards

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I will probably replace the injectors now as knowing they are not right will just annoy the sh*t out of me.

Rohan

Stefan

Reaction score
30csl ---- If you have extra injectors in your spare part box, you might try to do a change. New injectors are exactly not for free......!!!!

I don't know where you from, (its helps if you add that in your identity...

I think you should ask someone around you to have a look at your car. A lot of us maybe know how to sort your problem. It's a rather simple design the E9. And so the solution should be similar to design.....

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stefan, good point on the location.

Yes I have a bag of spare injectors I plan to get overhauled - quoted £95 here.

The problem is that I think the car is not getting enough fuel so I checked the injectors.

There is a noticeable hesitation at 4500 rpm under hard acceleration. Fuel pressure looks okay and when on the rolling road it was down 20hp from the last visit 5 years ago!

Regards,

Rohan

Stefan

Reaction score
I've similar problem with my csi at around 5000 rpm under hard acceleration,. The hesitation is about 1/2 second!!
Since I don't run my car under this condition every time I'm on the road :)
I had that issue on "to do list" but if we together could get an answer I could mark that issue on my list..

Best Regards

Stefan, Swe

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes that would be good!

I used the same rolling road 5 years apart and at 4500 the power is gone now. I ave changed things in that time and suspect the timing needs adjusting but to me it feels like fuel mainly. The mixture was okay on the rollers though.