Oil pressure slow to appear on startup

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I put a 91 M30B35 in my Bavaria recently and the oil pressure is very slow to catch on a cold start. I used the original oil pump and added the pickup and pan that fit the E3. Once the pressure has been established it works very well, 70# while cruising down the road at 3000 rpm.

I changed oil this morning and found that the filter canister was nearly empty, as opposed to being mostly full with the previous M30B35. Is there a check valve in there somewhere that I missed?

Dowst

Reaction score
In my experience with M30's, it's not entirely unusual for the light to take up to 5 seconds to go out on a cold start. However, your description of an empty filter housing is abnormal. I can't remember ever encountering a filter housing (BMW or otherwise) that did not have a check valve intended to keep a "prime". The B35 is no different.

I believe this image is of a B35 housing. That little ball valve at 6 o'clock is the check valve. Sounds like yours is stuck open or otherwise defective. I would check it out right away.

Attachments

• m30b35_oilfilterhouse.jpg
    m30b35_oilfilterhouse.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 756

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Did you keep the b30 oil housing?

I kept the housing that came with my B30, but it's a top bolt setup.
I noticed that there is no check valve in the housing. I have a similar top-bolt housing with a check valve in it. Tomorrow I will swap them out and post some pics.
The oil pump in my 'new' B35 motor runs a lot smoother as the old one would vibrate the gauge constantly. Perhaps the old pump has the check valve in the pump.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Please tell us you installed the 10mm fine threaded bolt in the block if you are using the earlier canister.
Pretty serious issue.

You have my phone #?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Please tell us you installed the 10mm fine threaded bolt in the block if you are using the earlier canister.
Pretty serious issue.

You have my phone #?

Oh yes I did. I actually used a 1/8 pipe plug and it screwed right in. Oil pressure is great - 75# or so running down the road.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
The old one is on the left. Note that there is no check valve, only a bypass valve.
DxGnBdi.jpg

looking directly at the check valve:

4gZHGCv.jpg

None here:

NkUSdtQ.jpg

They have the same casting number:

Kwjg7Ya.jpg

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Same problem... only I read this thread first and thought I got the right filter canister. It takes 10 seconds for the oil light to go off and opening the filter canister there's very little oil in it. Of course I had to first figure out that the oil light bulb was burned out.
I'll get another one and compare it.